Chapter 6: Magic time

A/N finally I get to leave a bad cliffhanger 

Nightmare couldn't help himself. He had laughed. The gang turned to him, all amused.

Fell and Error, who sat with them, also seemed to find this scenario amusing.

Fell leaned against the wall. "What was that about huh? Were you watching the new chick?"

Nightmare didn't like the tone Fell was taking. He couldn't believe the audacity of this guy; he was sitting in Nightmare's area. He should really watch it.

"Nah, it just that squeal. Sounds almost exactly like Dream. Makes you think about how pitiful those two are."

Cross shifted in his seat. Nightmare was his friend, and he wouldn't go against him. Still, he couldn't help but shoot his eyes over to where Dream was. He didn't deserve that kind of shade. Dream was strong in a different way from them.

Dust nudged him, smirking from beneath his hood. Cross internally groaned. He knew this conversation was about to go a way he did not want it to.

"So Oreo boy. Making Googly eyes over towards Mr.Banana peel again?"

Cross groaned, all attention had shifted to him. He could almost feel Nightmare's glare piercing through him.

"Whatever Dust. I was just interested in the fact that Nightmare's twin brother is now getting along with his new sworn enemy."

Nightmare scoffed.

"She is not my sworn enemy. She's not nearly strong or important enough for that."

Horror hummed.

"We don't know how strong she is actually. Plus, her background is a mystery. In reality, we can't say either of those things for sure."

Killer noticed Nightmare getting tense over this. He was usually all for watching a good fight, but he had a feeling this wasn't a good time or place.

"Yeah- I mean for all we know she could be some mysterious fairy princess!!! Lost to the wind after her suitor abandoned her!"

He flailed dramatically, leaning onto Error. Error promptly shoved him off. Luckily, this was enough to lighten the mood.

Their Magic teacher clapped his hands. Everyone looked over; there was a lot of excitement over finding out about whatever magic Dawn could have.

"Alright students! I'm sure you all had a great first day back. Today, we'll be seeing each of you destroy as many targets as possible. The top two winners, as per usual, will be representing our class at the upcoming festival."

Nightmare grinned. It was always him and Error. Despite the fact Error thought the festival was a drag, there was no getting out of it. Everyone else was pining for that role. They had been practicing magic all summer for this chance.

The teacher called people up by name; slowly working through the class. Some were more impressive than others, the Stars getting around 30/50 and everyone else getting around 15. This wouldn't be impressive, except that the targets were enchanted. They dodged and attacked, just as real opponents did. The test only lasted 30 seconds, so the average monster or human at most scored five. In fact, those classes only had ten targets. The gang stepped up; most averaging at about 40.

Error was called up, and reluctantly agreed to start. In no time, he had captured and destroyed all 50 targets. Nobody was surprised. Dawn made a mental note that this guy was a threat.

Next, the teacher called Nightmare. He confidently walked up to the platform and began. His face twisted into a terrifying grin, as he obliterated all 50 in seconds; each impaled clean through with his tentacles.