Chapter 21: ngl that's kinda straight

A/N hehe double length chapter! I had an hour. Also Dating the Villian makes me think of nm and Dawn when I hear it

"Wait, WHAT?"
Nightmare and Dawn turned to face Dream in unison. Both were blatantly shocked by Dream's statement, which was absolutely fair. They looked at each other, then quickly and awkwardly looked away. This was not something that either of them had been prepared for in the slightest.

Granted, it made a lot more sense that Dream had come to a conclusion like this. He may be smart, but he wasn't a genius. Plus there was the extra layer of confusion that he couldn't really read what the other two were feeling. Still, they'd been so panicked they didn't think about what others might see.

Nightmare was frozen, mentally buffering. His face would twist in confusion, then he'd open his mouth to say something before shutting it again. Dawn was just staring at Dream, her silence and lack of movement only broken by when she was blinking. Dream chuckled awkwardly, having a pretty good idea of what he had just done.

"That... wasn't what happened at all was it?"
Dawn rapidly shook her head in denial and Nightmare cleared his throat.

"No, it was not. Considering that we're only half friends and half enemies at this point, that was a big jump to conclusion. Where did you ever get that crazy idea from?"

Dawn broke her silence to groan and sink down to her knees. She knew Nightmare's gang wouldn't say anything in front of him, but she should have realized how her friends were acting.

"You guys have all been talking about this for a while haven't you?"
Nightmare looked bewildered and started to deny this, only to be cut off by Dream.

"Yeah, it's sorta been the talk of the class since the first few days."
Dawn buried her face in her hands, and Nightmare stared slack jawed at his twin brother. How hadn't he heard of this by now? Wouldn't he have been informed. Unless of course the gang was in on it too. Oh, this was a pain. Dawn slowly stood up.

"Alright then, how about we talk about this somewhere more comfortable, like my living room? The concrete is not the best place to question my life decisions."

Nightmare nodded.
"I second that. Someone might come by and start questioning us."
Dream shrugged and took Dawn's right hand. Nightmare took her left. Together the three jumped into a shadow, coming out on the other side like usual. The second they were safe in the living room however, Dawn and Nightmare jolted their hands away like the other was melting their hand off. Dream narrowed his eyes as he let go of Dawn's hand at a normal pace.

"You know, for people who are denying everything you two sure are being awfully suspicious."
Nightmare turned to face his Brother and glared.

"You're the one who made it awkward by basically telling us that everyone has been talking about us possibly dating for about a month now!"
Dawn rubbed her hand and nodded in agreement. Honestly, they went from talking about a possible threat to having the ship bomb dropped on them. She wasn't surprised at how she or Nightmare acted, but she was surprised by how interested he was.

"Did you really think we would hold hands after that? You basically told me that you and the rest of our class thought me and calamari over here were crushing on each other! Of course we would quickly get out of any situation that made us look like a couple after that!"

Dream shrugged and got his phone out of his pocket. He squinted at the time, before gasping.

"I forgot! Blue and Ink said they'd come over today to help me plan the party! I'm so sorry to leave you hanging with all these questions, but I promise I'll answer next time!"
With that, before anyone could stop him, he bolted out the door. Dawn sighed and awkwardly turned to Nightmare. It felt awkward being alone around him now. He cleared his throat and gestured at the door.