Chapter 23: what does fried squid taste like?

A/N Sorry it's like 200 words short I got wayyy busy 😭 

Ink woke up, bleary eyed. He looked around. Huh, his house had gotten bigger since the last time he was there. He shrugged it off and sat up to stretch. He bumped into the headboard of a couch. He didn't recall having a couch in his room. He looked around; next to him on an equally fancy couch, was Blue. Huh.

He took a deep breath in. It smelled like pancakes, oh my gosh he was so hungry. Wait. If Blue was asleep next to him, who was this. He got up and shook Blue aggressively, until the other slowly got up to stretch.

"Geez Ink, what do you want? You didn't need to wake me up like that. Dream was probably going to do that anyway."
Ink tilted his head, his left eye light shifting into a question mark. Dream? Maybe that was who was making the pancakes. That made sense. He nodded to himself, bringing his hand to his chin. Blue squinted at him and then let out a sigh as he realized what was going on.

"You thought we were home didn't you."
Ink laughed, not embarrassed. He just laughed like it was the funniest thing in the world.

"Yep! Did we sleep over at Dream's last night?"
Blue nodded and sluggishly headed to the kitchen. He had gotten used to Ink's craziness over the years. Being friends helped a lot, but having him as a roommate sure opened his eyes to new possibilities.

"Yeah. I think Dream's making breakfast. Apparently Nightmare missed dinner last night, so I say it's probably best to avoid him until he eats."
Blue waved a hand dismissively as he said this and headed into the kitchen. It was funny; the usually upbeat skeleton was actually the worst person ever when it came to mornings. Since he got so energetic with caffeine, he couldn't have coffee either. It usually wore off after a little.

Blue's comment did interest Ink. Nightmare was the type to be perfectly on time for a meal, finish it quickly, and leave. He needed food to boost his magic reserves after all, and that was very important to him. So what could be so important he would miss a meal? Blue may have said not to mess with him, but Ink wasn't exactly the best at following instructions.

Speaking of the devil, Nightmare began heading down the stairs. Ink quickly ran over to him, only to be met with a glare. He was clearly indicating that he was not in the mood to be messed with. Unfortunately for him, Ink was in the mood to find out what was going on with the grumpy goop man.

"Heyyyy Nightmare! Good morning! How ya doin? Hey, how come you didn't eat dinner last night?"
Nightmare groaned. He knew his brother had friends over, but he hadn't expected them to stay the night. If his gang were here they would keep Ink at a distance. However, it was very sadly one of the rare days the gang did not stay at Nightmare's house.

"Don't bother me Ikea Drawer."
Ink just laughed. Sure, that insult made no sense to him. It still was meant to be some sort of humorous though. Man, if he had technology and media he would be so in on all of the trends. Still, Nightmare hadn't answered his question.

"Hey, you didn't answer my questions! Why would you sacrifice more magic huh? Do you just not care? Do you not suffer from hunger?"
Nightmare just continued walking past, making it to the kitchen. He slumped down into his seat at the table.

"Dream, if you don't get your friend under control I am going to send him into orbit. He's about to be the smallest planet."

Dream looked over and sighed. Blue, sipping on a cup of milk, gave him an 'I told you so' look. Ink just smiled innocently at everyone. Honestly, they had no idea how he made Error fall for him. Neither of them may be good at noticing it, but everyone else could tell.

Blue glanced out the window. His class was full of hopeless romantics. Everybody but Dream could tell Cross was head over heels. Granted, Nightmare was trying to ignore it, but that didn't mean he couldn't tell. Error had a soft spot for Ink and him alone. Ink actively sought out chances to be around his glitchy friend.

Then of course, there were the more subtle things. Sci could barely get a word out around Fell, and Fell always tried to act super tough around him. Lust was especially flirty with Horror, but Blue couldn't tell if the big teddy bear had picked up on it. He seemed to enjoy hanging out with Lust, probably because he didn't think anyone super pretty would hang around someone broken like him. That was just a guess though. As Dream and Nightmare started arguing over Ink, Blue looked over Nightmare critically.

He seemed to be pretty down bad himself. Like seriously, the guy would keep the notes he and Dawn traded. Who did that? Plus, he actually talked to her and seemed pretty protective. Blue wasn't sure he'd ever been that quick to get attached to someone.

He narrowed his eyes. He'd have to keep an eye out. This was the most interesting thing since forever.

 This was the most interesting thing since forever