Chapter 4: Ghostly things

A/N POOKIES what is up??? I'm tired lol

Nightmare scoffed. Really? Was she trying to win him over with a smile?

He took the paper and opened it.

Crumpling it, he angrily crushed a file cabinet with his tentacles.

The words still dancing before his eyes.

-At least I have the decency to be more than an ego. Someone like you is honestly a worthless member of society; your value is equivalent to that of a dead fish.-

He gritted his teeth. It wasn't the fact he was being compared to a dead fish;

It was that this new addition was gutsy enough to imply that he was worth far less than her.

In fact, she was implying that nobody would value him at anything. For someone with a sensitive ego like Nightmare, that was a line that should not be crossed.

He sprung up, ready to make her pay for it; when the lunch bell rang. In one swift motion, everything was gathered. In his rage, he hadn't noticed that she had packed it all up.

Everyone in the class was clamoring; many of them had gathered around the poor late file cabinet.

Dawn simply slid her stuff into her bag and calmly walked out the door as if she had done nothing.

Was she trying to imply that Nightmare was sensitive? Was she really so high up on her own importance that she didn't realize her awful mistake?

Lost in his fury, Nightmare hadn't noticed the classroom empty out. Only his gang of friends remained.

Killer whistled, holding the crumpled paper in his hand.

"That chicks got guts, I'll give her that."

He quickly passed it around to the others; everyone but Dust appearing shocked.

Horror looked sympathetically at Nightmare. Realistically he should have been ego checked a long time ago, but nobody had the heart or bravery to do something like that.

"Hey Nightmare, how about we go get you some food. I'm sure you'll feel better."

Cross glanced nervously between the two, before turning around to look at Chara.

"That girl knows you're here now. You just had to go and introduce yourself to that ghost huh?"

Chara scoffed.

"It's not like I get the chance to talk to anyone but you much. I will tell you though, I say we don't get involved. Nightmare may be a friend, but she's a threat."

Cross nodded slowly. This was a lot to take in.

Turning back to the group, he wasn't surprised to find Horror holding back Dust from a nagging Killer.

At least by the smug grin on Nightmare's face it seemed he was feeling better. That was good for many reasons; Cross was just hoping they'd get a chance to blow off some steam during magic classes this afternoon. He knew tomorrow the real academics would start, but he could always count on Dream to help him study.

He smiled to himself; Dream was really great. Nightmare was lucky to live in the same house as him! Well, they were family but Cross still wishes he got to see his friend more. Ever since Dream had saved him from losing himself in middle school....

A knock came at the door. Error stood at the doorway, looking in.

"Hey failures. You might want to come and actually buy lunch. Besides, you know Fell sits with that lame scientist and all the other Star Simps."

Nightmare rolled his eyes. There was logic behind what Error was saying. He may not be part of the gang, but he was still a friend.

An honorary member perhaps; he just wasn't big on everything that the guys did when they hung out.

The group migrated out of the classroom; ironically only to run into Dawn outside. Sipping on an espresso from the vending machine, she looked more amused than shocked.

She dipped her head, bowing slightly at everyone. Cross noticed the ghost was nowhere to be seen, and silently nodded at Chara. Chara nodded back and whisked off to find the strange Skele-ghost.

Horror really just wanted to get to lunch. He was starving; so he tried to pull Nightmare along.

Nightmare was not having it, and pushed him off, before storming up to Dawn.

"You, me. Afterschool. Meet me at the training grounds. If you're more than just empty words you'll show up."

This peaked everyone's interest. They all knew what Nightmare was implying; a duel.

Dawn finished her coffee, and tossed it into a nearby waste bin.

"Fine. Do understand that you asked for this."

With that, she swiftly walked to the classroom, sat in her seat (much to Nightmare's disdain) and brought out her laptop to do some sort of work on.

The tense silence was interrupted by a long, long, period of someone sucking on the straw to an empty juice box.

Nightmare whipped around, only to find Error staring in amusement.

"Come on already, you'll miss lunch goop boy."

Killer chuckled before adding on.

"Yeah, wouldn't want to starve would we, oil spill?"

Walking to the cafeteria with his group, Nightmare wasn't sure if he'd rather appreciate them cheering him up or throw them all out the window.

Chara returned to Cross, just as the group reached the cafeteria.

"The ghost isn't anywhere on the campus anymore."

Cross, now in the public eye, only hummed in response. He didn't know what those two were plotting, but until he did he and Chara would be keeping an eye on those two.

At last reaching the cafeteria, the kids in line quickly parted so the skeletons could get in front.

Nightmare smirked. As much as Dream helped everyone around him, they sure as anything didn't clear the path for him.

That new girl was wrong; Nightmare was valuable, and above the rest. She just didn't know what she was messing with. He almost pitied the poor girl.

Almost.