Chapter 26: Why are you hot now?

A/N : 500 reads! IM SHOCKED TYSM! If you want a song that makes me think of Canon Dawn; ALICE by PEGGY 

Outer waved his hand in front of Dawn's face.

"Hello? Earth to Dawn? You out in space?"

Dawn shook her head and sat up. She had indeed zoned out, and her face flushed as she realized this. She smiled sheepishly at Outer; Dream laughed behind her as Blue squinted at her like he was trying to see through her.

"Sorry about that; I was just thinking back to this morning. I didn't get enough sleep last night."

Sci clicked his tongue behind her and shook his head. Lust also crossed his arm and shook his head in disapproval.

"You really need to have a healthy sleep schedule. The extent of your learning is heavily influenced by getting the proper amount of sleep for a growing monster."

Lust leaned forward.

"What brains here is trying to say here is that you need your beauty rest darling. Did something happen to keep you up?"

Dawn opened her mouth before shutting it abruptly with wide eyes. Her face flushed a deep blush and she quickly looked away. It was too late though; everyone else had seen. A mischievous smirk spread across both Lust and Blue's faces. Dream looked on with pity; Sci and Outer just leaned in to hear more about this.

"So you were thinking about something last night darling- or maybe a certain someone?"

Blue leaned across the aisle towards Dawn.

"Perhaps a certain goopy octopus?"

She aggressively shook her head, unable to do anything but stammer nervously under the intense pressure their eyes now carried. Blue smirked; that gave him his answer.

"Oh come on honey, you can tell us. There's no shame in being in love with a bad boy type."

Lust blinked innocently- but he knew that she was cornered. Dawn looked down. There wasn't really any way out of this was there? She wished Balance was here to advise her. Actually scratch that, they would just mock her and be of no use. She couldn't just pretend she had a crush on anyone else, and her blush had given her away. She had a feeling the only way to get these two to stop was to tell the truth. Dawn groaned and buried her face in her hands.

"Yes, fine. I might have a bit of a crush on Nightmare, but it's not a big deal! It's not like he'd be interested anyway, so can we just drop it?"

Blue gasped and put a hand to his chest.

"My dear friend! We cannot just let this live be unrequited! He would be so lucky to have you in the first place!"

He was really loud, and if Nightmare wasn't arguing with Killer he would have heard. She quickly walked over to Blue and muffled his speech with her hand. She laughed nervously, glancing around to see if anyone heard. Unluckily for her, Dust and Horror were looking right at them. She felt her blood run cold. She wasn't afraid of them in the slightest, but she was very afraid that they'd piece it together and tell Nightmare. It was all just a waiting game now.

She sighed and hung her head in defeat. She was hoping there was some sort of tactical way out of this. If she remained here and got too attached to him, he might die. She couldn't bear it if a single classmate died, much less the only person who had ever managed to steal her heart away from her. A repeat couldn't happen, she wouldn't let it. She needed to stop thinking about how much she wanted to kiss Nightmare and start thinking about training.

If she was right she had at least a month, but she needed to prepare. She didn't have any inside information, just a warning from Memory. Or maybe Regret has sent it? It was definitely a Regret, but Memory was the one who was supposed to be watching over Doodle. She clenched her fist. He'd always been like an older brother; she even used to tease him about his crush on Memory.

No, this wasn't the time to think about that. That boy was long gone. The bell rung, and Dawn was relieved at the excuse to leave the pestering shippers. She headed to the back, and then silently cursed under her breath realizing that now she was sitting next to the most distracting thing in her life. Plus, she didn't want him to catch on that her feelings towards him had changed, so she had to act like nothing was new.

"Good morning Octopus."

That was normal enough right? She was referencing her signature after notes. Nightmare decided to do the same- unfortunately for both of them.

"Morning Doll."

Dawn straight up choked on air. Nightmare blinked before turning blue once he realized what he said.

"Not like that! You know, because we were talking about signatures?"

Dawn nodded vigorously. The two looked away from each other, flustered.

Killer elbowed Cross, who shot him a glare. He brushed it off without a single second thought.

"Did you hear the lovebirds behind us? Looks like I get to tell everyone that I told them so."

Cross rolled his eyes at his friend's confidence.

"Yeah, nobody ever said you were wrong though so can you really?"

Killer jokingly glared, before cracking a smile and leaning back against his chair.

"I suppose you're right. Still, with the way they're acting all of a sudden I give it until the party."

Cross rolled his eyes, and turned his head to look out the window. He didn't want to ruin her chance at romance, but he really wanted to tell her about the approaching threat. Her ghost friend wasn't around her, so he suspected that they knew at least something about it by now.

He sighed. He would have to ask her this afternoon. He was known to be a workaholic, so maybe he could cover his tracks by asking to train with her. He might have to tell Nightmare as well, but he'd worry about that later.

Speaking of Nightmare, he was trying very hard to not just spend all class staring at Dawn. Geez, school was hard enough before he realized she was hot.