Chapter 12: Harassed

TW// just read the title

A/N I did just recently get Harassed so I'm low key projecting sorry 😞 

When they walked onto campus, Killer dragged everyone over towards a bunch of benches. The people around those benches immediately evacuated the area. This made Dawn and Dream feel bad, but everyone else was glad.

Nightmare instantly sat on one of the benches, so the gang all squeezed on to the other one. Dream and Dawn were left standing; Dream knew Nightmare would probably complain but agree to let him sit. However he didn't want Dawn to stand alone.

Cross noticed and began to get up, but Dream just smiled and shook his head. Cross sank back down, earning chuckles from his friends. He shot them a glare before crossing his arms.

A group of human boys erupted into laughter nearby, and one of the boys was shoved towards the bench, grinning and getting slaps on the back. Great, a bunch of trouble making daredevils.

The boy began walking towards the benches. Dawn and Cross both immediately had their guards up, but everyone else was mostly just curious since this had never happened before. A human girl broke off from the group and ran over to him, sharing the same grin.

The two approached the group, and Dawn positioned herself to run if she found it necessary. The girl walked up to Dream, slinging her arm around his shoulder. Cross and Nightmare immediately shot their attention towards the two, the rest of the gang quickly following suit.

"So pretty boy, got a girlfriend or someone special?"

Dream chuckled nervously. He didn't like her tone or attitude towards him.

"I.... Guess not? But I'm not exactly on the market if that's what you're implying. Sorry."

"Awww come on... surely you don't mind the attention huh?"

Cross gripped his weapon, looking to Nightmare for permission. Before either could react, the girl had been knocked clean out with a jab to her solar plexus.

Everyone blinked, looking over to see who had done it. Dawn stood there, perfectly calm. Her expression had not changed, and she simply dusted off her arm before turning to Dream and looking at him with worry in her eyes.

"Are you okay Dream? It's pretty traumatic for something like that to happen. I'm sure nobody will bother you after what I did to her though."

She gestured at the human girl who didn't appear to be waking up anytime soon.

The boy clenched his fist. That was his friend these stupid skeletons had hurt. They should be grateful anyone was even interested in them. Still, he wasn't giving up and going to the others without results.

Without warning, the boy grabbed Dawn's right wrist, and his smug grin returned.

"Aww, such a pretty girl shouldn't trouble herself with hitting other people. If he wanted her to leave he would have said something."

Everyone watched and waited for her to do something. Knock this boy out as well, maybe throw a couple insults until he ran away. However none of that happened; Dawn stood there frozen, eye lights small in her head. She was silent, not moving a muscle like a deer caught in headlights.

Normally, Dream and Nightmare couldn't feel any emotion coming from her. Right now however, a cold wave of dread was coming off of her. Her hand was super shaky, and something appeared to start weaving around her otherwise ivory bones.

Killer didn't know how seriously the office would take it, but he began recording just in case. The gang shifted and looked at Nightmare. Sure this wasn't Dream, but none of them were big enough jerks to let anyone be harassed like this. They firmly set the line at murder.

Nightmare nodded, glancing at Dream. His brother was even more terrified when it was happening to his friend than when the girl had been on him. Typical, but Nightmare wasn't about to blame his brother since he knew how much friends meant to him.

Quickly, a wall of knives pointed at the human. Some were Killer's, some were Cross'. The others stood in a more standby, but they doubted the two would need any help. Still, they all kept careful watch over the boy.

His pupils had shrank, and he quickly stepped back, hands in the air. Dream rushed over to Dawn who was clasping her right hand tightly.

"Hey now, you guys can calm down; no need for the knives. We were just playing around with you guys."

Dream glared and gathered the courage to speak up.

"Well it wasn't very funny. Actually, that was harassment, so if you ever come near us again I'll press charges. Go tell your friends that if anyone tries that on anyone that you all will be taken to court."

The boy nodded violently and grabbed his friend, dragging her body back to the group in a panic. The group themselves looked pretty freaked out from just watching the whole incident go down.

Dream turned to Dawn; it was clear to him she was having some sort of panic attack. He tried to use his magic on her to calm her down, but it just deflected. However, coming into contact with it caused her emotions to become hidden from view once more.

"Okay Dawn just breathe. They're gone now, it's okay. Nobody can hurt you."

For some odd reason this just made it worse. While Dream freaked out, Cross looked to Chara, whispering into the fluff of his hood.

"Doesn't she remind you of us? When people said we were safe we panicked, because Dr.X is still out there."

Chara nodded, floating above Cross and kicking their legs in the air.

"Yeah. Someone probably hurt her and this is making her have flashbacks. She's even got that pitiful look you get when you blame yourself for what happened to us. Her ghosty pal hasn't been with her today either, so the only person who knows what's going on isn't even here. You understand what it's like though, so I say you go and try to help."

Cross nodded and walked up beside her, hesitantly placing a hand on her shoulder to help calm her down.

"Hey- that guy was just a jerk. Whatever happened in the past is over now. It can't hurt you anymore. You're safe with people around now."

This seemed to break through to her, and she closed her eyes and took a deep breath before shakily nodding her head in thanks. Cross nodded back and went back to sit with the others.

"I'm sorry." Dawn whispered this under her breath, before speaking up again. "At least they won't think about bothering us again. They're brave to be such jerks on the second day of school."

Dawn reached into her bag, grabbing a pair of white gloves before slipping them on. She turned to Cross and Killer.

"Thank you. I was too shocked to do anything. I really appreciate you guys helping."

She turned to Dust and Horror, who had been standing at the ready just in case they were needed.

"I also appreciate that you were willing to help if it was necessary. I'm sorry for the trouble."

She reluctantly turned to Nightmare.

"Thanks as well. I know your gang of friends wouldn't have reacted without your permission, even if they might have wanted to."

She grabbed Dream's hand and dragged him off to class, leaving him waving goodbye at the group, who were stunned into silence.

As the bell rung, the group silently got up and headed to class. Still, each were lost in their own thoughts, and walked silently.

Killer was looking at the video. He had zoomed in on Dawn's hand. He hadn't been imagining it- there was something different about her hand. It almost looked as if there were tattoos swirling up it. The weirdest part? They were moving.