Chapter 33: Family bonding time

A/N I was listening to the greatest showman and tbh this book is tightrope and Inbetween pages is giving rewrite the stars (prepare yourselves)

Suddenly, the trio heard the opening of a door. They all whipped around, each on the defensive. In front of them, bagel in mouth, balancing way too many things since women's clothes don't have pockets, stood a very confused Blossom.

Dawn sighed in relief and gestured for everyone to be at ease. Blossom carefully walked in as the others eyed her with unease. She cleared her throat and raised an eyebrow at Dawn.

"I know that your name is the one on the lease, but I'm pretty sure I just walked into our house. Care to explain why your two friends here look ready to impale me?"

Cross immediately felt awkward. Of course Dawn didn't live alone in a house like this, it was too much to assume. Nightmare relaxed as he remembered that Dream had mentioned a roommate. Still, he couldn't help but feel wary of this strange human. Dawn chuckled awkwardly.

"Sorry Blossom. I may have forgotten to mention I had a roommate. Plus, I didn't realize so much time had passed. Let me introduce you to my friends."

She gestured at the couch where Nightmare and Cross were sitting.

"The charcoal toothpaste is Nightmare, and the yin yang guy next to him is Cross. They're my classmates."

Blossom smiled mischievously.

"It's nice to meet you two. Especially Nightmare; I've heard a lot about you."

Dawn choked and turned to stare at Blossom. She quickly put the older girl in a headlock and laughed awkwardly.

"Don't think about that too much okay? She's over exaggerating. She's just heard your name more often since you and Dream come over a lot. If Cross came with us all the time she'd say the exact same thing."

Cross squinted his eyes. He was dubious about that- he was pretty good at telling when people were hiding things. Dawn had an awful poker face and an objectively worse excuse. He glanced over at Nightmare, who had leaned back into the chair. He was usually better at it than Cross, but he didn't seem to have noticed anything. It seemed like the shippers had the right idea here.

Dawn turned to face Blossom, releasing the girl from her grasp. Blossom was still grinning ear to ear, and Dawn flushed and glared at her.

"Anyway, I'd make sure we have replacement doors and windows. We might have a surprise guest soon; I didn't tell our address but I have a sneaking suspicion that somehow they already know."

Blossom scrunched her eyebrows together in both confusion and concern. That didn't exactly sound like a good thing to her. Then again, Dawn wasn't panicking or preparing any sort of defense so it must be okay. She shrugged and figured they'd cross that bridge when in came to it.

Dawn turned to the two skeletons who were still sitting on the couch, probably feeling like they didn't belong in this conversation. She scratched the back of her neck awkwardly.

"Sorry guys, I know it's gotten pretty late. You should probably head home; luckily that's right next door. I hope you can sleep well tonight."

The two skeletons nodded and quickly headed out. Cross dipped his head as he left, and Nightmare nodded in farewell. Dawn sighed and fell back on the couch once the two had left. She looked over at Blossom tiredly.

"I told them about everything. As it would turn out, they don't seem to have had good pasts either. Still, I guess it was kind of a relief finally getting that off my chest you know? Everyone who's been in my life for the past few years was involved in the incident, so I didn't have anyone trustworthy to open up to. I really like it here."