Track Eight: Breathe

Chaeyoung stares up the ceiling blankly. The sky outside is still dark but she knows her phone's alarm will ring in a few minutes. Lying in bed, she stays motionless and has since been like that ever since she woke up. It doesn't even feel like she's slept at all. How could she when all she could think of is that damn letter now lying crumpled on her kitchen floor and the flowers that have remained untouched ever since she brought them in? She would've placed them next to the others before it but now she's contemplating whether to throw all of them out instead or return it to where it came from.

It's stupid though, the pretty flowers had nothing to do with anything. It's like getting mad at someone and taking it out on the dog.

She must be going crazy.

Her alarm goes off without fail but it takes her three minutes before she realizes it and taps the button, finally getting her to move.

She doesn't know how but she's made it to work in one piece. Everything else moving in a fast pace as she walks with her mind so far away from where it's supposed to be. She must've been so out of it until dark chocolate eyes come into view, Jennie's face leaning close to hers.

It feels as if somebody pressed play all of a sudden and Chaeyoung finally finds herself back in focus.

"Rosie? Did you hear me?" Jennie asks worriedly.

"U-Uh?" Chaeyoung blinks, looking lost as she stares at Jennie's flawless face, still without make-up, yet still looking so stunning.

"You're flying away just now. Come back to us," Jennie says with a smile, a hand under Chaeyoung's chin.

Realizing that everyone's attention is on them, she suddenly shakes her head, forcing a smile on her lips and muttering apologies as she bows her head.

"Right, just sleepy," she says as Jisoo suggests slapping her once to keep her awake.

"It works. Highly recommended. I'll make it quick," the head stylist promises, warming up her hands as she rubs them together.

"What? No! I need my stylist in good condition," Jennie protests, putting both of her palms over Chaeyoung's cheeks to protect them from a looming Jisoo.

"Sometimes we need to be slapped in life in order to reach our goals," Jisoo says as if it's such a natural thing to do.

"Lisa!" Jennie calls, eyeing Jisoo sharply.

"Why do we need to bring the monkey in this?" Jisoo complains in a hurried whisper.

"Yes, unnie?" Lisa answers, head peeking from inside the changing room as she prepares Jennie's outfit for today.

"Take Chichoo away," Jennie orders before Jisoo gets pulled by a sighing Lisa.

"I just wanted to help. She looked like she needed it," Jisoo tells her as Lisa hums lazily, already used to it.

Chaeyoung finds that slapping is unnecessary, especially when Jennie's warm hands are enough to bring her back to the present. Suddenly she can't think of all the things that have been bothering her.

"How's your ankle?" she asks immediately, avoiding looking like a human tomato in front of Jennie as she quickly crouches down to inspect the injury. Jennie's ankle is now wrapped in elastic bandages and it hurts Chaeyoung that she's still walking with a limp. The idol plans to explain to her fans why she's photographed with a crutch earlier in a live video she'll be doing later. Which would exactly be after her acoustic performance for a show. The management has been given a heads up already and thankfully they had the dance routine changed to an acoustic version live performance.