Track Ten: On Hold

Chaeyoung could be doing so many other things on a Monday night. She could be catching up on some much needed sleep, watching new episodes of her favorite dramas, calling Ashley to gossip about the past week or maybe even out dining and drinking with her friends. But she's not doing any of those things. Tonight, she's having dinner with Kim Jennie, South Korea's IT girl and global superstar. A very normal, simple dinner with said superstar wearing pajamas as she goes around the dining table, getting out some drinks. Chaeyoung busies herself by opening the take-out boxes. She admits buying a lot, specifically a quantity which is more than enough for two people. She wasn't sure what Jennie was craving for so she ended up ordering from three different restaurants.

There's still that slightly awkward silence between them and Chaeyoung wants it gone. Jennie had been sort of under the weather all day and she wonders just what she could do to erase whatever bad air she caught. The idol need not tell her the reason, or simply what it is, Chaeyoung just wants to lift her mood up, even for just a bit. She does mentally note that if someone was indeed the cause of Jennie's sad eyes then she's ready to unleash hell.

Jennie is now sitting across her, handing Chaeyoung another pair of chopsticks when Chaeyoung notices what seems to be a new batch of fan gifts piled up at the corner of Jennie's living room.

"At this point we won't be needing sponsors with your fans being this rich," Chaeyoung jokes, trying to start a conversation as she looks over at the branded paper bags lined up among the pile.

"I can't blame them. When you love someone you try to give them the world. You go and do everything to make them happy," Jennie replies as she pokes at her food, there's a bit of weight accompanied to that sentence and Chaeyoung suddenly remembers that interview last week about 'future boyfriends' and all that.

God, she hopes that whoever Jennie's special person is, if Jisoo's forced admission is true, won't make the mistake of breaking Jennie's heart. Chaeyoung won't forgive him for hurting something so highly valuable.

"That's true," she softly agrees because that's exactly what she'd do for the woman sitting in front of her.

"Sorry," Jennie mumbles, eyes still focused on her food as Chaeyoung looks up.

"For what?"

"I wasn't feeling it today. Must've made it difficult for everyone," Jennie sighs.

"You don't always have to be happy all the time. You're human too. We all have our moments. The team understands that," Chaeyoung simply says before grabbing one of the take-out boxes and putting a piece of beef on Jennie's plate.

"So whatever it is that is bothering you, I hope you know that we're here for you whenever you need us," she continues to say. She feels Jennie's gaze on her so Chaeyoung smiles.

"Even if it requires burying a body and hiding the evidence," Chaeyoung playfully jokes, and that finally pulls a genuine laugh from the idol.

"I'll remember that," Jennie tells her and Chaeyoung slowly starts to feel the awkwardness fading away.

And just like that they start talking about food, mundane things, more about Australia's culture and of course some new Aussie slang words Jennie is currently memorizing in the most adorable way possible. 

"Aw, you look like a kitten just now, unnie," Chaeyoung gushes, hands over her mouth in an attempt to hold in the huge smile spreading across her face.

"So cute," she mumbles to herself as Jennie explodes in laughter having heard it.

She repeats some words a couple more times and Chaeyoung melts into a messy pink puddle each time. In the end, her hands betray her and she finds that Jennie's cheeks are much softer than they look. That even if she does her make-up all the time, she's never had a chance to actually cup Jennie's face with both her palms.