Track Twenty: Alone With You

"Kim Jennie?"

Fifteen year old Jennie looks up, feeling small and extremely nervous from where she is seated amongst the rest of the teens waiting to audition for YG. It's a small batch this time as it was the last of this year's auditions. Jennie had missed the auditions at Melbourne after that argument with her father about her sudden career choice. So now she's travelled all on her own to Seoul from New Zealand hoping to get a spot for the last round of auditions. The thought creates a huge burden on her. She almost throws up at the restroom earlier.

If she doesn't make it, she's just about wasted money she earned from part-time jobs. She's also going to have to concede to her father and forget about being a singer—for the meantime, at least.

The thing is, Jennie has never worked a day in her life. So to wait tables at a local restaurant had been quite the experience—she got yelled at countless times too for being just a pretty face despite also being the reason the customers have increased. But she's fueled with spite and the determination to prove so many people wrong has her swallowing her pride and sighing at her chipped nail polish after a day's work.

Her friends even pitched in to help her and Jennie thinks back to every single person whom she was about to disappoint if she fails here.

Standing up, Jennie tries to straighten any creases in her outfit. YG is known for it's street style roots, RnB vocalists and infamous rappers. So Jennie wears black from her shirt to her ripped pants, not only because it matches the vibe of the company but also because it's her favorite color. Besides, if she were to be an idol in South Korea, she hopes she won't have to sing all those absurdly cute and baby sweet type of songs. She would rather prefer the bass pumping, beat bangin', breathless rapping and singing that would soon enable her to find her own style. She hopes to write her own songs too.

Confidence. She repeats the word in her head over and over again. To do everything with confidence is such a Kim family trait after all. Her great-grandfather had built an empire with just five dollars and confidence alone. Jennie had paid her respects to his resting place, their family mausoleum, just before the day of her audition, asking to be showered with luck and that very confidence he had then. She may have grown up abroad but her South Korean roots shine through and through.

"Take your time and start when you're ready," the woman behind the table kindly says as Jennie stands in the middle of a room, in front of a video camera. There are two other people screening auditions and a music technician.

As the track she prepared starts to play, Jennie takes a deep breath, letting the song take-over her before slowly exhaling, trying to remember the pain as she looks up at the camera with a steady gaze and finally opens her lips.

"Follow me, please," the woman in charge of auditions says after she is finished and this leaves Jennie confused.

Could there be a second audition then and there? So far, she's seen audition hopefuls enter and exit through the door.

They are going upstairs through several floors using the elevator, where the rooms are more polished and with expensive looking interior.

The woman guides her inside an open door where to her surprise she finds what looks like a huge black room where trainee evaluations are being held. YG trainees all sitting at the sides after having been called to the center to perform. None of them looking happy from the way some of them are hanging their heads and sighing disappointedly.

In front of them, doing the evaluations, would be YG's prominent producers, dance teachers, vocal coaches, senior idols Jennie stares at in awe and, of course, the CEO himself looking very intimidating.