5. Dinner

Dinner was going exactly how I thought. Separate conversations. Although we all knew it was going to happen. I was sat opposite Farleigh at the table. "So, what made you both decide to be a thing." Venetia asked me and I looked at her.

"I don't know. Just gave it a try and it worked." I said to her with a smile.

"What do you know about Ollie?" She asked me, he was going to be her next victim.

"Not a lot." I said to her and that's when it went quiet as I started to eat.

"We met in rehab, so...he was just so lovely at first, and then all of his business partners started, sort of, falling out of windows. You know." I heard Pamela tell Oliver. Now I wanted to know what was happening with this Russian guy.

"Right. Lucky escape." Oliver said to her and it was lucky indeed.

"Mmm. I suppose so. But he spoke Russian all the time and it just sounded so romantic. And I don't know the Russian word for 'whore', so I, sort of, thought it sounded like lovely poetry." Pamela said to him. Now I really didn't want to listen to this story anymore.

"Yeah." Oliver said to her, I don't think Oliver wanted to listen to this anymore either.

"Daddy always said I'd end up at the bottom of the Thames." She said to him, that was really something.

"So far so good." He said to her, really didn't want to be in that conversation anymore.

"I don't know what I'd do without Elspeth. She really saved me." Pamela said and I looked over to Elspeth.

"Don't bang on about it, Pamela, darling. You know we're delighted to have you for however long it is you mean to stay." Elspeth said but the subtle line of that was she wanted Pamela to leave.

"Forever?" Farleigh asked and I looked at him with a small smile. It always seemed that way. I only spent summers but any longer would feel like intrusion.

"Oh, no. I think I might have, erm, found somewhere." Pamela said and that was great news.

"Oh, well done, darling." Elspeth said and I knew that she was glad about that.

"Oh, good." James said to her. Farleigh and I shared a look with each other.

"Yeah, my cousin...My cousin has a flat." Pamela said to us all. That must be nice.

"Oh, that'll suit you very well, a nice little flat." Elspeth said and maybe it would be. Small and comfortable.

"It's more of a...More of a bed sit really." Pamela said and I didn't know what one of those was.

"I loved living in a bed sit in my 20s. It's so freeing to live all in one room. And much less cleaning to do. Oh, but it'll be terrible when you're gone. How will I cope?" Elspeth said to her and I saw Pamela look at her.

"Well, I...I could actually stay for a little bit longer..." Pamela started before she was cut off by Elspeth.

"Oh, no, darling, no. You must be desperate to be rid of us and find your own place. I quite understand." Elspeth said to her. The rest of the dinner was in silence. I was glad once it was over. Farleigh and I went back to our room.

"Well, that is one dinner down." Farleigh said to me and I looked at him with a smile.

"Hopefully they'll get better from here." I said him and I started trying to find the zip on my dress.

"I've got it. But dinner wise, they are definitely getting worse from here." Farleigh said and he unzipped my dress for you.

"I can finally breathe again thank you." I said to him and he put his head on my shoulder.