15. Wish You Were Here

As we all went to sunbathe I went into the water. Clambering onto the watermelon inflatable that was in it. Lying on top of it. "I mean, it's outrageous!" Vee said to us but it never happened. Whatever this whole thing was it was all made up by Oliver.

"What actually happened?" Oliver asked all of us and that was what I was trying to find out as well.

"He sent an email to Sotheby's to say that he'd 'come by' some Palissy plates. I mean, the idiot. He had to have known that Dad went to school with the chairman." Felix said as he was picking the grass around him. What he was forgetting is Farleigh wouldn't be stupid enough for that. He know who his uncle had connections to.

"I mean, talk about biting the hand. And Mum and Dad would give him anything he asked for." Vee said to us and that was true. I was wondering where he was.

"Yeah, well, obviously he got sick of asking." Felix said and this had to go back to the conversation they had the other day.

"That's ridiculous. He's more spoilt than we are." Vee said and who knew if that was really the case. I mean Farleigh was never one to ask. Yes his tuition got paid for but it's not like he could be a scholarship boy or afford it for himself.

"I mean, Vee, you have to admit. It's a little bit dark, him having to go to Mum and Dad with the begging bowl." Felix said and I'd hate to be in that position.

"Oh, boo-fucking-hoo." Vee said and I was just ignoring what she was saying.

"All right, yes. Fine, it was incredibly fucking stupid..." Felix said as he was still picking at the grass.

"Guys, guys, guys." Vee and I said at the same time. We had company coming over Elspeth and James. And we couldn't talk about this situation.

"Oliver, don't mention it, okay?" Felix whispered to him and I looked at them.

"Trust me, Oliver. It's not worth it." I said speaking up. They all looked at me. I hadn't spoken since this whole thing.

"What happens if they bring him up?" Oliver asked and we all knew that they wouldn't.

"They won't." Felix said to him. That was how these things went.

"What a glorious day. Never known a summer as hot as this one. Sweltering. I think it's even hotter than last year. I didn't think that was possible, but here we are again. It's hotter than Barbados, apparently. Barbados!" James said as they walked over to the chairs. The weather. Always a go-to subject no matter.

"No, I can believe it, darling. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been hotter in my life." Elspeth said before she sat down. It's always funny how when people have nothing to talk about, weather becomes the topic.

"Oh, o need to check with Robert...to make sure that he's being extra vigilant with my hydrangeas." James said and that's when he walked away. Well this was awkward.

"Very wise, my love. Oh, bliss. Bliss, bliss, bliss. Mmm! Oh, this song. Good, I haven't heard this song in forever. I used to hang out with them all, actually, when I was modelling. Britpop, Blur, Oasis. God, the parties. Oh, but then, of course. Common People came out and everybody thought it was written about me. Which was completely mortifying and ridiculous. I mean, I barely knew Jarvis." She said to us all. But we weren't really listening to Elspeth.

"What?" Vee asked her. We were all a bit lost.

"She came from Greece. She had a thirst for knowledge. It couldn't have been me. I've never wanted to know anything. God, I wish we didn't have to go to London." Elspeth said to us. What was happening in London?

"I didn't know you were going to London." Felix said to her. At least I wasn't the only one.

"Pamela's funeral." Elspeth said to us and I nodded.

"Oh." Felix and I got out. I didn't even recall her mentioning that Pamela passed away.

"Pamela died?" Oliver asked and Felix looked at him.

"Yeah." Felix said to him. It was quite sad that she'd passed away. But who knew why.

"She'd do anything for attention." Elspeth said and the day then went on. Later on, I went to my room and called Farleigh.

"Please pick up. Please pick up." I said to myself as I paced the room and I heard him pick up from his side.

"Y/n. I'm so happy you called me." He said to me and I could tell that he was scared. Nervous.

"Are you okay? Where are you staying?" I asked him and he sighed on his end.

"I have no where to stay. I was dropped off at the airport. I don't want to go back. I didn't do it." He said to me and I could tell that he was trying not to breakdown.

"Farleigh, I know you didn't. You'd never do that, I know you wouldn't. Listen, I'll call Warren and I get him to talk to my driver and he can pick you up. Stay at Thistlehouse and come back when this is over." I said to him and I was hoping he'd accept that. That was the least I could do. Let him stay there. With a roof over his head.

"You don't have to do." He said to me and he sniffled on the other side.

"It's the least I can do. Please just don't go anywhere." I said to him and I was hoping he'd accept it.

"Please. I'd really appreciate it." He said to me and I looked around the room. "I wish you were with me." He added and it broke my heart.

"Hey, I wish I was there as well. But I promise whilst you'll gone I will try and take Oliver down. I know he did this to you." I said to him and it had to be Oliver. No one else would do this.

"It had to have been Oliver." He said to me. I kept talking to him until I had to get ready for dinner. God, who do I tell first. Do  I tell Vee or do I tell Felix.