14. He's Gone

When the morning came around I was glad that I'd be able to see Farleigh after last night. But that's not what happened. I could hear shouting. And not a good kind either. Something was wrong. Very wrong. "I wouldn't do this." Farleigh said, I followed the voices to the staircase. That's when I saw that Felix and Vee were looking down. Farleigh was talking with Elspeth.

"James is very upset." Elspeth said and all I wanted to know was what had happened. But whatever it was. I know Farleigh wasn't couple of that kind of thing.

"You know that...why would I do this?" I heard Farleigh shout, he was trying not to breakdown and I knew what that meant. He was getting kicked out of here.

"I don't know..." I heard Elspeth say to him.

"I swear to God, this has to be..." He started and there was another expiation for this. Like some kind of sick joke that wasn't true. It could never be true.

"Enough!" Elspeth said to him. This was it. He would be gone.

"There must be some kind of mistake here." Farleigh said to her and I just wished I could go down and talk try and work something out with them.

"Farleigh..." Elspeth started. The three of us had started to go further down the stairs.

"I'm sure I can..." He started and I shook my head. I just had him back and now. And now he was gone.

"Vee, what the fuck is going on?" Oliver asked as he joined us. Vee and I both shushed him. We needed him to be quiet.

"It's Farleigh." She whispered to him. I then saw them.

"What happened?" He asked Vee and I looked at him.

"I don't know." I whispered and I looked at Vee.

"He tried to nick something." Vee asked and that wasn't like Farleigh at all. He didn't have that kind of personality. As I looked down I could see that Farleigh was distraught. Someone had done this to him and it wasn't me.

"What are you talking about?" Felix asked her and I couldn't hear what they were talking about down there.

"There's no way that he'd do something like that." I said to them all and they were still arguing down there. But that's shouldn't be a surprise though.

"He's a fucking idiot." Vee said to us and he could be sometimes but this wouldn't be one of them. And if he was here, then it's because this house could easily make someone go fucking insane. That's how it is at Thistlehouse, if spend too much time. You go insane and there's no stopping it.

"Move!" Duncan shouted at him and I really just wanted to step in. To make it all stop.

"Please." Elspeth said and that's when Farleigh walked with Duncan. Elspeth then looked up and we all had to retreat our heads. She couldn't know we were here.

"Fuck." Felix and I said. She probably knew. She had to know. We all then went back up to our rooms. I was still going to say in this room. It made no sense to sleep in a room when the person wouldn't be here. It felt off. If I had a perfectly good room there was no reason as to change it. Of course I got changed we were spending the day around the pond. I had to act like it didn't matter that Farleigh was here. Ask no questions. Act like nothings different. The only rule about Saltburn that made no sense to me. Why should I have to act like what I just witnessed never took place. To make it seem like Farleigh was never here. As I was coming back out of my room I saw Oliver.

"How do you you feel about all of this?" He asked me like he'd expect me to say that I'd thought he'd do it.

"I know he'd never do anything like this. Someone's trying to set him up. Get him out of here." I said to him and I knew who it was. It was Oliver. But I could never admit to that. I needed to make sure he was close. You know what they say. Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer. He was the enemy. He'd take down this whole place if we weren't careful.

"Oh really, who'd you think would do something like that?" He asked me and there we go. He was prying again. Just like how I knew he would. He was the only behind this.

"I don't know yet. But I base my suspicions." I said to him and that's when I walked past him. I didn't even want to be near him anymore. Especially since the only thing I wanted to do was confront him. To make it seem like he was so small that he'd have nothing to do apart from the truth. But that wouldn't happen. He'd never admit if we were talking like this. Because he was messed up. I could see through him. Farleigh could as well. The right word to use on Oliver would be a social climber and it was easy to spot them from a mile ago. There's no way him and Felix becoming friends was a coincidence. It was all a setup. One that Felix was too blind to see. If he wasn't careful who knew what would happen to him. Or to all of us.