20. Life After

It had been a few years since the last summer at Saltburn. I was still living in the states with Farleigh. We were still together. When I came over here Penelope had sent me some money so we could live properly. I even had enough to help Frederica. Of course we never escaped that summer that we lost Felix but Venetia as well. I still kept the last text she ever sent me. An hour before her death when she asked me to come back. But I couldn't and that's what pained me the most. "So, I was thinking we could go out to dinner tonight?" Farleigh asked me as he leaned against the doorway of our bedroom.

"I'd to but I have to work on these cases." I said to him and he sighed. Walking over to me in the bed.

"But you've been working on them all week. Todays your day off. And they've still got you working. Please just come out with me." He said to me and he gave me those eyes. The ones I couldn't say no to.

"When you put it that way. I could really use with a break." I said to him and he took my laptop from me and put it down on the desk.

"I'm so glad you said that, I made the reservation a week ago and they have that whole 'No cancellation' policy." He said to me and got out of bed.

"Is it too that fancy place you told me about?" I asked him as I walked over to him. Wrapping my arms around his neck. He then wrapped his around my waist.

"Maybe. But you'll find that out in an hour. So you might want to hurry and get dressed up." He said to me before he let go of me and headed into the bathroom. Then rummaged through the wardrobe trying to find something to wear and when I finally did that's when I saw a message pop up on my laptop. It was from Warren. I went over and saw it. Elspeth had passed away. James had gone a few months ago but now she was as well. It's not like Farleigh was taking over Saltburn. So who was. I bet it was Oliver. That slimy person. I then went back to my wardrobe. Finding the jumpsuit to wear. Once I'd changed I'd deleted the message. I then saw Farleigh come back in again as I was doing my makeup. "How did I get so lucky?" He asked as he placed a kiss on my head.

"Because you won me over with that American charm." I said to him with a smile and he looked at me.

"Do we have to go to the restaurant? I want to take you out of your jumpsuit instead." He said to me and I stood up and looked at him.

"Sorry, but you said that we were going out regardless. So let's get going." I said to him and I tried to drag him out the room.

"But why?" He asked me as he started following me out of the room.

"Because the faster we get there and come home. The quicker you can help me out of this." I said to him as we started heading downstairs. The house we lived in was enough for a family. But for now it was just the two of us. We were comfortable and happy this way for now.

"Why didn't you tell me this whole thing sooner." He said to me with a smile and we both headed out to the restaurant. It was nice until my phone kept going off. "Who's calling you so much?" Farleigh asked me as our mains had only just come out.

"I have no idea but I wish they'd quit it." I said to him and that's when my phone rang again. "That's it. I've had enough." I said to him and that's when I turned my phone off.

"Who even was it?" He asked me and I looked at me.

"It was an unknown number so it's not important anyways." I said to him and we then continued. On with our meal. When we got home I saw the picture of the four of us on the mantelpiece. It was from when they stayed at Thistlehouse. Mum had insisted on us having a picture together. We were 15 and Vee was 17. It may not have been Saltburn but it was still a nice spring. Later that night when Farleigh was asleep I went to check who'd called me. I still had no answer. Until I looked at my emails. I recognised a name. Oliver. I began to read it. He'd taken over Saltburn but the way he signed off the email is what made my blood boil before running cold 'With Love'. I'd never felt more disgusted over anything. I put my phone down before placing my head on Farleigh's chest. Listening to his heartbeat. Although years had passed I still wouldn't nothing more than take him down. And one day I would. But for now I was glad that Farleigh and I had made it out alive. We'd escaped that place and nothing had made me happier. Now it is with love, that I will get my revenge one day. When the time is right and no one is expecting it.