Chapter 28: Dobby's Reward

Few hours later, Joni, Harry, Ron, Caitlin and Ginny were now in the headmasters office, with Fawkes sitting on it's usual pedestal, and Dumbledore had returned to castle. They were also joined by McGonagall, Mr. Weasley and Mrs. Weasley. Dumbledore was sitting on his desk while examining the diary, before looking gravely at the kids.

"Ingenious. Simply... ingernious." He said. "Of course, Tom Riddle was probably th most briliant student Hogwarts has ever seen. I taught him myself fifty years ago. After he left, i would occasionally hear stories of his activities-- Dark rumors.-- but after a while, even the rumors stopped. When he finally resurfaced as Lord Voldemort, most people had completely forgotten the clever Head Boy he'd once been."

"I didn't know who's diary it was, sir." Ginny tried to explain. "I swear. I found it inside my cauldron." He then looked at the others. "The day we all went to Diagon Alley."

When Joni heard this, he started frowing and recollecting what happened there.

"But i understand if... given the trouble i've caused... if you--!"

"Wiser wizards than you have been hoodwinked by Lord Voldemort, Miss Granger." Dumbledore interrupted Ginny gently. "No, i think you've endured enough. I would suggest a bit of bed rest, however. And perhaps a large mug of hot chocolate. I always find that cheers me up. Minerva, will you show Arthur and Molly up to the Hospital Wing?"

"Certainly, Albus." McGonagall replied.

As McGonagall took Arthur, Molly and Ginny with her, Joni, Harry, Ron and Caitlin watched them go, while Mrs. Weasley's voice carried.

"A diary that writes back to you!" She said. "Honestly, Ginny! What were you thinking? Haven't i always told you? Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps it's brain!"

The kids meanwhile turned back to face Dumbledore, who started to regard them gravely. "You four realize, of course, that in the past few hours, you have broken perhaps a dozen school rules."

"Yes, sir." Joni whispered, looking down a little just like his friends and brother.

"There is sufficient evidence to have you all expelled."

"Yes, sir." The four said together.

"Therefore, it is only fitting, that you four receive..."

The kids looked nervously at Dumbledore, who slowly started to smile. "... Special Awards for Services to the School."

The kids looked at each other surprised before they also smiled.

"Thanks, sir." Ron said.

Dumbledore happily nodded before addressing Ron and Caitlin while lifting himself on his feet. "Now, Mr. Weasley, Miss Haywood, if you two would have an owl deliver these release papers to Azkaban." He gave Ron a letter. "I believe we want our gamekeeper back."

Ron and Caitlin then left the office, while the twins stayed behind.

"Harry. Joni." Dumbledore spoke, turning to face the twins. "First, i want to thank you, you two. You must have shown me real loyalty down in the Chamber. Nothing but that could have called Fawkes to you."

He then looked at Fawkes before addressing Joni. "And i believe he has become fond of you, Joni."

Joni smiled while looking at the phoenix.