Chapter 37: The Patronus

Couple days passed following the revelation Joni and Harry received about Sirius Black. While Harry's hatred for Black was almost uncontrollable, Joni eventually managed to collect himself thanks to Hermione, Ron and Caitlin. Initially he had wanted to go after Black, but after the argument the group had about going after Black, during which Hermione was reduced to tears and begging Joni not to do it, he gave up his revengeful thoughts. 

Joni even had tried to calm Harry down and talk him out of going after Black, arguing that he felt the same way but intentionally going after the murderer was suicide, but Harry remained stubborn about it. Joni did promise to Hermione though that he'd do his best to try and keep Harry out of trouble, which was enough for the girl.

Right now, the quartet were all outside making their way for Hagrid's hut since they hadn't visited him in quite a while. They arrived at Hagrid's to find the place topped with snow everywhere. Ron, who got there first due to wanting to get out of the could, knocked on the door, but there was no answer.

"He's not out, is he?" Hermione asked as she was shivering due to how cold it was.

Ron put his ear on the door to listen in.

"There's a weird noise." He said. "Listen, is that Fang?"

The other three put their ears on the front door, too, and they could hear low, throbbing moans coming from the inside.

"Think we'd better go and get someone?" Ron asked nervously.

"Hagrid!" Harry called out. "Hagrid, are you in there?!"

A couple of footsteps came around and Hagrid opened the door slowly, and his eyes were bloodshot.

"You've heard?" He bellowed.

"Hagrid, what is it?" Hermione asked as Hagrid let the teens inside the hut.

Joni then spotted a letter on the table. He lifted it up and started to read it outloud.

Dear Mr. Hagrid,

Further to our inquiry into the attack by a hippogriff on the student in your class, we have accepted the assurance of Professor Dumbledore that you bear no responsibility for the regretable incident.

"Then that's okay, Hagrid!" Ron said in a way to cheer Hagrid up.

"That's not all, Ron." Joni suddenly said, and his friends turned to him again while Hagrid blew his nose while sitting on his armchair. Joni kept reading the letter.

However, we must register our concern about the hippogriff in question. We have decided to uphold the official complain from Mr. Lucius Malfoy, and this matter will therefore be taken to the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures. This hearing will take place on April 20th, and we ask you to present yourself and your hippogriff at the Committee's office in London on that date. In the meantime, the hippogriff should be kept tethered and isolated.

Yours in fellowship...

"And then there's just a list of the Hogwarts School Governors." Joni finished, lowing his hands and looking sad.

"But you said Buckbeak isn't a bad hippogriff, Hagrid." Ron said. "I bet he'll get off--"

"You don't know them gargoyles at the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures!" Hagrid sobbed. "They've got it in for interesting creatures."

Buckbeak, meanwhile, who was inside, ate some animal meat, and the quartet turned to it in surprise, having not noticed it when they entered.

"I couldn't leave him tied up out there in the snow. All on his own. It's Christmas."