Chapter 45: The Portkey

It was a middle of the night in Little Hangleton, a small village located 200 miles from Little Whinging. Overlooking the village was a huge manor house that was sitting by a hill known as Riddle house, which was once owned by the infamous Riddle family. However, ever since the mysterious murders of the Riddle family, which included a married couple Thomas and Mary Riddle, as well as their only child, Tom Riddle Senior in 1943, the house has stayed abandoned.

By the edge of the hill and right next to a graveyard sat a small home, where lights turned on in the kitchen, with a man making some tea for himself. This was an elderly man named Frank Bryce, who, after serving in the Second World War, became a gardener for the Riddles, but when they were murdered, Bryce became a prime suspect, though he was released due to the lack of evidence and the authorities inability to determine the cause of the family's death.

Ever since then, Bryce stayed living in Little Hangleton, and now with a radio playing in the background, the old man was making himself tea, though when he looked outside his window, he noticed the lights in one of the Riddle house's rooms suddenly turned on.

"Bloody kids." Bruce muttered angrily and started to dress himself up to go and check on the house, as kids used to hang out in the house and Bryce always had to shoo them away.

Taking the keys to the house and with a flashlight in his hand, Bryce marched to the old house. Making his way through the garden in the Riddle house, he entered through the backdoor of the house.

The old man now walked inside the abandoned house, which was covered in spider webs everywhere you looked. Bryce then started to walk up the stairs slowly, thinking he was going give a scolding for few kids, though he would be in for a surprise.

"How fastidious you've become, Wormtail." A weak voice with a hiss in it could be heard saying from up the room, while Bryce turned the flashight off. "As i recall, you once called the nearest gutter pipe home. Could it be that the task of nursing me has become wearisome to you?"

Bryce kept walking up the stairs slowly as he listened in, though he had to stop for a second as one of the steps creaked.

"Oh, no." Another voice came in, and Bryce saw a short, balding man come into the view as the door was open, kneeling in front of the chair. "No, no, my Lord Voldemort. I only meant... perhaps if we were to do it without the boy."

"No!" This cry got Wormtail to back off a little. "The boy is everything!"

Suddenly, another man kneeled by the armchair to face their master.

"It cannot be done without him." Voldemort kept going. "And it will be done. Exactly as i said. His brother will be a problem if left alone, so he needs to be taken care of at the same time."

Bryce was now standing close to the door as he peeked in and listened on the conversation.

"I will not disappoint you, my Lord." The kneeling man swore to his master.