Chapter 49: The Unforgivable Curses

The next day, the quartet and the rest of the fourth-year students were in the DADA classroom ready for their first class with their new professor, who turned out to be Moody, and he suddenly drops The Dark Forces: A Guide for Self-Protection textbook on Neville's desk.

"I see you all slogged down to Flourish & Blotts like good little boys and girls and bought the textbook." Moody said, looking over everyone. "Congratulations... it'll make a fine doorstop."

"Alastor Moody

"Alastor Moody." He then turned to write his name on the chalkboard. "Ex-Auror, Ministry malcontent, and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

Nobody had any questions so they all were quiet.

"When it comes to the dark arts, i believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?"

The students trade uneasy glances, until Hermione, who is sitting next to Joni, raised her hand tentatively. Moody's blue artificial eye rotated towards her.

"I might've known. Go on, Granger."

"There are three, sir--" Hermione says but then stops. "How did you know..."

"Your name?" Moody begins to circle around. "I know a bit more than that. You're on top of your class with Potter here-- correct?" He points at Joni.

Joni and Hermione glance at each other. "Yes, sir..." She says.

"Socially inept?"

"Well..."

"And... Muggle-born." Moody then stopped, eye raking over everyone else. "I'm not about to walk into a room full of strangers without doing backgrounds. Constant vigilance!

He jabbed his staff into the floor, right in front of Harry. As the rest of the class jumped, Harry studied Moody's scars on his face.

"The devil likes disguises. Never forget that." He told Harry before finally moving on. "Again, Granger. How many curses?"

"Three" Hermione answered with a frightened voice.

"And they are so named?" Moody then started to write the Unforgivable Curses on the chalkboard.

"Because they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them will--"

"Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct."

As Moody said this, he finished writing the unforgivable curses on the chalkboard before he faced the students again. "The Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different!"

He slammed the chalk he was holding on a table.

"You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared."