V.1-Ch.7.4

Misaki

A week had passed and our study sessions with our study groups had been fruitful. It was long and challenging, but thanks to Kurino and Kasai encouraging everyone, we managed to keep everyone onboard without any problems. As for those who had club activities, we and our classmates were easily able to catch them up to speed, making sure none of them fell behind. Almost everyone in our class was capable of handling complex questions now, and they seem to be quite confident for the midterm exam.

The bell rang and signaled the end of class for the day. Everyone grabbed their belongings and was just about to walk out of class.

"Everyone, please stay here for a moment. There's something I need to tell you," said Matsubara-sensei.

"What is it, Sensei?" asked Kasai.

"There have been some minor changes to the midterm test that's coming up. As much as I hate to say it, the studying that you've all been doing this past week has gone to waste."

"Eh?!!" the entire class erupted.

"What...?" Like them, I was surprised too. I didn't expect there to be any changes to the midterm test. My mother once spoke of this happening to her when she was a student, but I never expected for it to happen to me as well.

*slam* "So it was all for nothing...?!!" said Tsukamoto angrily. "Damn it!"

"I apologize for this. Please have a good day and good luck to you all." Matsubara-sensei walked away and left the classroom.

*slam* "Damn it...! Damn it, damn it...!"

"H-Hey Tsukamoto-kun," said Kurino. "I know you're mad and all, but we can start over again."

"Start over? Are you joking?" he said. "I put my effort into this. Actual effort. Now, it's all gone to waste! I quit!"

"W-What? Tsukamoto, do you know what you're saying?" asked Kawasaki.

"Look, I'm not going to do something when it means nothing in the end! That's final!" Tsukamoto grabbed his bag and turned. "I'm going to Track...!" He left the classroom with an angry face full of frustration.

Someone in the classroom sighed. "Looks like Tsukamoto-boy's not going to make it..."

"W-Woah! Where did you come from, Shirogawa?!" said Kawasaki and Azuma out of surprise.

"How many times do I have to say it? I've been here the whole time. Is it really that hard to notice someone?"

"Shirogawa..." I muttered to myself.

"Well, whatever. While you're all busy panicking about the midterm, I'll be leaving then." Shirogawa stood up and walked towards the door.

"Wait, Shirogawa-kun," I called out to him and he stopped.

"Oh? What is it, Horikita-girl?" he said in an egotistical voice.

"...Have you been studying by yourself by any chance?" Shirogawa was not there during our first day, nor did he ever show up the past few days to any of our group's study sessions. I suspected that he may have studied on his own, but now that I have the chance to talk to him, I can confirm it.

"Study? What is there to study for?" He gracefully flicks his hair back and stands in such a confident pose.

"Aren't you afraid of your expulsion?" I asked. "If you fail this test, there will be no going back. If you study, you'll at least have a chance of surviving."

"Hm. Let me assure you, Horikita-girl. I will not be expelled so easily, especially by such a simple test. My present skills are enough to get me through these three years here at this school, so there's no need for me to worry."

"So your plan is to hang back then...?"

He chuckled, then he smiled. "Exactly."

There's no denying it. Shirogawa was exactly like that one student who was in my mother's class. His ego was through the roof, and his self-confidence was almost overwhelming. No one, not even me, would be able to push through everything without worry or caution like him.

"Well, if that's all, I'll be leaving then. Ciao!" Shirogawa walked away and left the classroom. Everybody, who had been quietly listening to our conversation, looked at each other and were confused on what to do next.

"Um...Horikita-san..." said Kurino.

"Don't mind him nor Tsukamoto-kun. Please go to your study group and continue your studies." They all nodded, then they walked out of the classroom. "This can't get any worse..." I said, holding my head with my hand over my face.

Furukawa, who had been sitting quietly next to me, stood up and started walking away from me. Once he got to the doorway, he stopped. "Will you be able to handle it?"

"...Yes, I will. I'm sure of it." I turned towards him. "In the situation that I won't be able to do so, will you help me?" Furukawa remained silent with his back turned to me, and without answering me, he left. I suppose I'll take that as a yes...

I sighed, then turned to look outside the window. It was a bright and beautiful day. The trees were still vibrant green, and the flowers were still flourishing.

"Class D...Okaa-san and Otou-san's former class..." I muttered to myself. "I will make sure we all reach Class A..."