V.1-Ch.9.1: All For One & One for All

Misaki

Advanced Nurturing High School; Class 1-D

The next day, all of us arrived in class, prepared to look at the results of the test. The bell rang and Matsubara-sensei stepped into the classroom, going up to the front of the podium.

"Well well well, looks like everyone's here today. For these past few weeks, all of you have been here on time and you've been paying close attention in class. Keep this up and you may get your Class Points back. But I'm sure that's the least of your worries right now, isn't it?"

Kasai nodded and stood up. "Sensei, we heard that the results will be shown today. May we see them?"

She nodded. "Of course." Matsubara-sensei went up to the smartboard and the screen changed, showing a list of our names and our scores.

"Alright!" Azuma and Kawasaki shouted excitedly.

"Yay!" Hamasaki and the other girls cheered.

"I...I did it...! I actually did it!" said Tsukamoto.

"Not bad, Class D. You all did surprisingly well. Especially you students who failed on that mock test we had. Before, you had such low scores, but now, almost all of you have near perfect scores. But..." Matsubara-sensei paused, then sighed. "I'm afraid to say one of you failed."

"Eh?" The entire class' faces lit up, confused. Using a pen from the smartboard, she drew a red line on the screen, showing one name below it: Tsukamoto Tamotsu.

"W-What?! That's bullcrap! How did I fail?!" shouted Tsukamoto.

"You were unable to get the minimum score in order to pass. Therefore, you failed. To be more precise, you failed your English test by having a score of thirty-nine points."

"Y-You're kidding..." said Azuma and Kawasaki.

Tsukamoto had passed four out of the five subjects with scores of fifty-five points. English was the only subject where he had the lowest score.

Kasai stood up from his seat. "Sensei, if I may, can I look at his test?"

"You want to check it, hm? Very well. But I'm sure of you there are no mistakes." Matsubara-sensei handed him Tsukamoto's English test and he analyzed it from top to bottom, front to back. As he looked through it, his facial expression became darker and darker. "So?"

Kasai handed her back the test. "...No mistakes..." Kasai sat back down in his seat with a frown on his face.

"You...you have to be lying! There's no way I could've failed! I mean, how is thirty-nine points not a passing grade?!"

"If I remember correctly, no one ever said that thirty-nine points was a passing grade, right?"

"W-Well, that's..."

Matsubara-sensei sighed, then changed the screen on the smartboard, showing a blank and white screen. Grabbing her pen, she began writing on it. "Each class has their own passing grade. To calculate it, we use the average score and divide it by two. For Class D, the average score was 79.1. Dividing that number in half, your passing grade would be around 39.55. Since it's a decimal, we round it up to 40."

"T-That means...I failed...by one point...?" said Tsukamoto. "Dammit!" Tsukamoto slams his fists on his desk in anger.

"Matsubara-sensei," I said, raising my hand up. "May I ask a question?"

The teacher and everyone else turned their attention towards me. Matsubara-sensei stared at me with a smug look on her face. "Oh? Horikita? What is it?"