V.3-Ch.2.4

Furukawa

The Uninhabited Island; the Woods

With the class behind us, Ogawa and I walked deep into the forest to start our scout. To make sure we didn't get lost, I memorized where our base camp was using the GPS on my wristwatch and I told Ogawa to do the same in case either one of us forgets.

The two of us were looking for anything that was growing and that was edible. Food was our main goal, but the layout of the island and finding any natural resources for us to use was another thing to keep in our mind. So far, nothing has come up.

I glanced behind me to look at Ogawa, who was looking around from left to right. She was clearly determined to find something we could bring back for the class. However, I also noticed something else. From looking at her face, she seemed to be a little tired. Her breathing was slowly starting to change and she was walking slower than usual. It has been a while since we've left the base camp, so it made sense for her to be somewhat exhausted. I stopped myself, and in doing so, Ogawa, who was walking behind me, bumped into me.

"U-Um...Furukawa-kun?"

"Do you want to take a break here for a moment?" I asked.

"E-Eh? B-But what about our search?"

"We can do that once we've rested. You're tired, aren't you?"

Ogawa stared at me for a moment, then nodded. "A-Alright..."

Finding a spot underneath a tree, the two of us sat down next to each other. Beside me, I heard a sigh of relief and turned to see Ogawa relaxed. It wasn't comfortable where we sat, but it allowed us to rest for a brief moment. And from here, the sun couldn't touch us, so the heat shouldn't be a problem.

"U-Um...l-looks like our class is doing well. Working together and all..."

"It seems like it."

There was a brief pause and a moment of silence. I had thought that Ogawa would continue the conversation, but I remembered how shy and quiet she was. I was often quiet myself and I don't really talk to many people, so I didn't know how to communicate with her.

"...S-So," Ogawa spoke up. "W-What do you like to do, Furukawa-kun?"

"Me?" I said. "...I usually read, and at other times, I may cook."

"Y-You can cook? T-That's amazing..."

"Is it really something to be proud of? Many people can cook, can't they?"

"Not everyone. He he..." Ogawa quietly giggled to herself and frowned, looking down.

As we rested, we spent our time talking to each other, learning more about the other. Ogawa, who had a passion for photography, talked a lot about the photos she took and where she took them. As for me...there wasn't much I wanted to talk about.

"Are you feeling better now, Ogawa?"

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine now."

I nodded, then I stood up. "In that case, let's-" Just then, in the distance, I heard some footsteps and some voices.

"Furukawa-kun, where should we-MMH?!"

I suddenly grabbed her, covering her mouth and quieting her. The two of us immediately hid in nearby bushes, covering ourselves completely in foliage and remained silent as the voices came closer.

"I doubt the other classes will be able to win. With you and Reina-san, Class A will come in first!" said one voice.

"Even though we are talented in our own ways, you shouldn't underestimate the other classes. It's still undetermined which class will win."