V.1 Mukai Yumiko SS: An Interesting First-Year

I walked alongside Mihara as the two of us went on our way to the Student Council Room to do our duties as members. I had my phone out, and the OAA app was opened and shown on my screen. I was scrolling, looking at the profiles of each first-year student enrolled at this school, remembering as many of their names and their faces best I can.

Seeing that they only just arrived not too long ago, there were no scores shown for any of them. However, just by looking at them, and from meeting a few of them in-person, I could tell the gifted students apart from the talentless students. Still, I'm eager to see what their scores would look like in the future.

"Mukai-san," said Mihara. "Regarding the Student Council, there are still a few empty seats left open for students. Is there anyone specific you're looking for?"

"Hm..." I looked up from my phone and thought about it for a moment. "I'd have to say that we won't be inviting anyone from our grade level to join, seeing that we'll be graduating and all soon."

"That's logical," said Mihara.

"I suppose we could recruit a few second-years. We already have Seiji-kun with us, so I'd say maybe one or two more. And as for the first-years, it wouldn't hurt to go out and recruit a few of them."

"Are you sure that's what you want to do?" he asked.

I stared at Mihara's face and saw how serious and surprised he looked. I understood what he was trying to tell me. First-years don't have much experience at this school compared to second and third-year students. In his eyes, many of them lacked the necessary talent and skills, and weren't worthy of joining the Student Council. And not only that, but I already rejected many applications during the Club Fair-many of them being from first-year students who only wanted to join because I was in it.

"As long as they're dedicated to the work and the Student Council itself, it'll be fine. Besides, I'm not planning to recruit any first-years yet. I'll wait a bit until their scores show up on the OAA app after they take a few exams. That'll make the search easier."

"Very well. If that's what you wish, so be it."

As we were still walking towards the Student Council Room, we began to hear footsteps coming towards us. We turned our attention and look to see a female student with long-black hair, holding a few books in her hands. I believe I saw a glimpse of her during the entrance ceremony and Club Fair.

I raised my hand and waved at her. "Oh, hey there!" She turned her attention towards us, then I walked up to her. "If I remember right...you're a first-year, right?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yes, I am."

Curious as to who she was, I pulled out my phone and opened the OAA app. "Let's see...Horikita Misaki, from Class 1-D?" Seeing that name, I placed my finger to my lips. "Hmm...that name...where have I heard it before?" Hearing that, Horikita seemed to have gone silent and her facial expression changed a little.

Her surname, "Horikita", seemed so familiar to me. Yet, for some reason, I couldn't seem to remember it from the top of my head. Was it from a show? A book? Or was it from the news? After thinking for a while, I finally gave up.

Moving on from that, I started talking about Class D and asked her if it was frustrating for her. The reason why I asked was because during my three years here at this school, I've seen the disrespect shown towards students who were in that class. They were the lowest and "defective" class out of the entire school. So to be told that they were unworthy and incapable, it made me feel bad for them.

Sure enough, Horikita confirmed how frustrating it was for her. Yet, for some reason, she didn't seem too bothered by it. As I gazed into her eyes, I saw something about the student in front of me. Something was telling me that she was someone special-someone who truly had potential. And I could see it from the determination in her eyes. To be honest, I could hardly believe she's in Class D

After some time talking about the class, and after I told her my thoughts, Mihara and I left, saying goodbye to her as we continued on our way to the Student Council Room.

I turned to look at Mihara, who was walking beside me. "So, what do you think about her?"

"She seems interesting," he said. "Far more interesting than the other first-years."

I smiled at him and nodded. "You're right about that."