V.2-Ch.3.6

Misaki

Two days had passed with the investigation coming up cold. Our class had worked diligently thanks to Kasai and Kurino, but in the end, we were left with no leads nor any new information to prove Tsukamoto's innocence. It was a dead end. Seeing there was nothing we could do besides wait for something to pop up, I paused the investigation and let everyone else go.

Advanced Nurturing High School; My Room

On a Sunday morning, I received a message from Furukawa on my phone. Apparently, Tsukamoto had contacted him, telling him that he wanted to meet up to discuss the situation again. The deliberation meeting would be coming up in three days. We didn't have much time left, and Tsukamoto was the one who was most stressed about it.

I typed a message and sent it to him, telling him we could meet up in an hour at the mall. He replied back with understanding, then I put my phone away.

"I might as well get something from the library to read in the meantime..."

Advanced Nurturing High School; Library

With my school uniform on, I arrived at the entrance to the library. Entering it, I saw the multiple shelves of books of many genres around me, and the groups of students hanging out at the many tables. Since this issue with Tsukamoto started, I never had a chance to come back here like I always did. Seeing it again made me feel a little better.

As I walked around, heading on my way to the Mystery section, I happened to notice a familiar figure.

"Hm...!"

It was the silver-haired librarian. She was on a ladder, organizing the books in one section of the library, rearranging them and placing back the old books students returned. She seemed quite busy. I could hardly imagine the amount of time and patience she needs to go through this large-scaled library with thousands of books. It was impressive.

She places a book on the shelf, then turns and glances at me. "Oh?" The silver-haired librarian smiled and waved at me. "Wait right there for a moment!" She climbed down the ladder one step at a time, eventually reaching the ground, then she walked towards me. "Good morning. If I remember right...you're Horikita Misaki-san, right? It's nice to see you here again," she greeted me kindly.

"Yes, good morning. Is there something you need?" I asked.

She shook her hands apologetically. "Oh no no, it's nothing like that. I saw you here, so I thought it'd be a perfect chance to talk to you."

"Talk to me?" I repeated.

She nodded. "There's been something on my mind I've been meaning to ask you. If you don't mind, would you like to come with me to get a drink?" I stared at her for a moment, looking at her facial expression and body. She was someone I don't really know much, but I didn't sense any ill will from her-she seemed genuinely kind. Realizing this, I decided to accept her request and the both of us left the library.

Advanced Nurturing High School; Hallways

After paying for our drinks and getting them from a nearby vending machine, we found a bench off to the side and both sat down.

The silver-haired librarian opens her can of matcha tea, taking a sip of it and smiling. "I've always noticed how you come to the library every now and then. However, it seems like you've been gone the past few days."

I took a sip of my drink of black coffee. "I've been quite busy, so I haven't really had a chance to come here as much as I used to."

"Is it about the fight?" she asked.