Part 8

The road to the Iron Hills seemed long to Terwyn, but she had never been outside the kingdom of Erebor or at least not since she was dropped there as a child so she could not really know what was far away or what was not. After a short rest that night, they left early again, arriving at the Iron Hills the next evening. There, Dain immediately took Terwyn to the throne room to meet his grandfather. "King Gror, it is my honour to meet you. I thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to get to know you kingdom and your people better!" She greeted the king with a deep bow.

Terwyn knew well that she had to use her manners if she ever wanted to see Frerin alive and well again. She would be in trouble here soon enough if people discovered what secret she was carrying. After Gror greeted and welcomed Terwyn in which he also introduced her to Fain, Dain's mother, the latter brought Terwyn to her room with the message that either herself or Dain would come by soon to see if everything was all right. Terwyn nodded gratefully and she was somehow very pleased with the kind and non-biased way they treated her, but from the moment the door was closed she started crying again and laid down on the bed.

She missed her prince already, there were still so many things she had wanted to say to him. Terwyn cried until her tears ran out. After this, she decided she would see Frerin again, one way or the other. He would come and get her or she would return to him! She just had to! She could not let down her guard, she had to see this from the positive side. Here she was safe, or at least for a while until she had a better plan to build a good life with Frerin.

Terwyn had no idea how long she had sat there before there was another knock on her door after which Fain walked in. With her she had another female dwarf carrying a robe.

"I thought you might like a change of clothes." Fain said to Terwyn, who nodded thankfully after which she stood up and walked straight to the other dwarf woman to take the robe.

"Let us help Lady Terwyn." Fain said placing a hand on Terwyn's shoulder.

Terwyn was not at all used to being served, but still she nodded obediently. When Terwyn was completely refreshed and put on the new dress, Fain suggested that Terwyn's hair be braided again.

While Fain braided Terwyn's hair, Terwyn looked at herself in the mirror. She could hardly believe that all this was really happening. Just a while ago, she dreamed of being able to put on a beautiful gold-coloured outfit like Thorin, Dis and Frerin, and here she was. A gold-coloured dress, a princess braiding her hair and a dwarf woman serving her. She suddenly looked like a princess and yet, still she did not feel as good as she should. Frerin was not there, and all these years Frerin had been the one who treated Terwyn like a princess.

Terwyn wished Thror and Thrain could see her now. "I always wanted a daughter." Terwyn suddenly heard Fain say after which she looked up in the mirror at Fain who now also looked up at Terwyn with a weak smile.

"I was always so jealous of Taryn." Fain muttered.

"Taryn?" Terwyn asked slightly confused "Oh you don't know her? Taryn is the mother of Frerin, Thorin and Dis. I was so jealous of her because she had a daughter." Fain then told the young dwarf girl.

"Oh no, I never really knew much about their mother. She died before I was born." Terwyn replied. "Oh, well I thought Thorin or Dis would have told you about her. I heard you had a good relationship with the royal children." Fain said which made Terwyn swallow for a moment not knowing whether she should say more.

"I..." Terwyn started but didn't know what else she could tell Fain.

"I have no family so...Frerin is about my age that's why we got along so well I believe." Terwyn finally said after which Fain nodded compassionately. "Well I'm sure you will see him again soon, and in the meantime we are your family dear!" Fain assured her then causing Terwyn to smile genuinely for a moment.