12

“Welcome.”

Hearing the bookstore owner’s greeting as I stepped inside, I darted straight to the ‘new releases’ section. It took me less than a minute to find the book I wanted. I grabbed the novel I had eagerly been waiting for and let out a small cheer. As a popular book, there was only one copy left.

“Got it!”

I felt like doing a little tap dance right then and there due to the utter happiness I felt. The moment in the novel where the main characters finally express their true feelings for each other was about to come. I had waited for this moment for so long!

“Hahaha….”

I turned around with an ominous chuckle, but suddenly, Thump! I bumped into someone, losing my balance. Expecting a rough landing, I closed my eyes reflexively, expecting to feel the impact. However, the shock I anticipated didn’t come, and puzzled, I slowly reopened my eyes.

“Are you okay?”

The woman in the peculiar robe looked at me with cold, unfamiliar eyes. Her crimson hair was reminiscent of a rose, and her amethyst-like purple eyes sparkled. Her slightly upturned eyes gave her a cold and imposing aura, making her an extraordinary beauty.

As I stood there, slightly taken aback, she gave me a playful smile.

“Your head should be fine…”

“Oh! I’m fine; thank you for catching me.”

Startled by this odd turn, I got up from the floor. But I felt something strange and blinked my eyes, trying to grasp the situation. She seemed to have caught me before I fell, yet she was just standing there.

How did I not fall?

“It’s magic,” she explained with a light smile, sensing my confusion.

“Magic…?”

I was fascinated, realizing the radiant aura around her. Her gaze, however, remained fixated on the book I was holding.

“Yes, but anyway, are you going to read that novel?”

I felt a shiver down my spine, as if a predator was eyeing its prey. I quickly hid the book behind my back and took a step back for some distance. This person seemed genuinely interested in the novel too.

But so am I.

As our eyes met, we were locked in a standoff for a moment. The imposing presence she exuded made me feel small, but I mustered my resolve and focused on her.

“I’ve been living for 21 years just to read this novel. I might die if I don’t get to read it first,” I half-joked.

“You look healthy enough.”

“Oh, no! My heart’s condition is very serious!”

“I understand. But I need to return to the Magic Tower soon, so I don’t have much time.”

“Oh… I see. But you look like you might be late.”

“Then can I read a bit of it?”

“Hmm…”

As I hesitated, someone suddenly appeared between us, blocking our path.

“Enough, enough! Helena, what are you doing? You suddenly disappeared, so I came to look for you.”

It was a man in a similar robe with ordinary brown hair and brown eyes, giving him the typical appearance of a mage. His eyebrows were slightly furrowed, and he looked like a typical mage.

I felt relieved to see a potential mediator. He’d probably resolve the situation for us!

“What are you doing? Louis, you’re doing less constructive work than I am.”

“What? How can you say that to me! It’s true, though, but I didn’t want to waste any more time,” Louis retorted.

I stood back and watched as their voices escalated.

“Just wait a moment. I’ll leave now…”

Now, I could quietly pay for the book and go on my way to Sion. But then…

“Wait.”

“Where are you going?”

Both of them suddenly focused their gaze on me.

“Someone is waiting for me… Haha…” I stammered as I tried to divert their attention.

When Louis urgently approached me, he poured out words like a torrent.

“I apologize for Helena’s behavior. I’m Louis, and this is Helena. She seems to have caused an accident, so let me apologize on her behalf!”

Louis bowed his head respectfully, and I clapped my hands, saying, “No need to apologize; we were just discussing the novel.”

“You have a noble spirit! May I ask your name?”

“My name is Rosette.”

“Your name is as beautiful as your profound heart!”

“….”

I couldn’t fathom how the two were connected. Louis looked sternly at me, then rummaged through his robe as if looking for something.

“All I have is this…”

I suddenly became uneasy, thinking he might unleash a spell that I wouldn’t like. His expression had become rigid.

Mayday! Mayday!

As I tried to distance myself, Louis extended his arm toward me.

“Please accept this and find it in your heart to forgive us. It’s a famous Gummy Bear candy from the capital! I’ve only eaten one myself, but…”

He held a beautifully wrapped, gummy bear-shaped candy in his hand.