47

Kiris left with a meaningful comment because Louis had called him urgently.

“I will be back. Mistress.”

I went back to my room and put the freesia flowers Kiris had given me in a vase filled with water. The vibrant freesia flowers, flaunting their presence, went well with the vase.

“Ugh, my life….”

My mind was in turmoil.

There were so many people who had visited me today. I had treated a wounded slave out of compassion, and he turned out to be the Tower Lord of the Magic Tower. If I had known that, I would have taken him to the temple for treatment.

“It can’t be helped.”

Since things had turned out this way, I had to protect my life.

More than that, I wondered who Kiris was referring to when he mentioned an escort.

“An escort…”

Even when Kiris had lost his memory, he had acted as my escort. Of course, there were many times when I was threatened by various things.

Anyway, I didn’t feel comfortable with Kiris’ kindness. I was grateful, but I felt uneasy.

And the next day, my ominous premonition came true.

* * *

“Miss, have you thought about the lifelong contract?”

As soon as Mary came to work, she handed me a densely written contract. It seemed like she was serious about what she had said as a joke.

I waved my hand and handed the contract back to Mary. Mary pouted, but I turned away, pretending not to see.

“No, isn’t this a bit too much? A lifelong contract…”

“Oh, come on. I can do it for Snow’s sake! It’s my duty to sacrifice myself and serve you.”

“That’s not it…”

“Oh, how unfortunate.”

Mary put on a sad face and crumpled the contract. Then, she started talking about the mages she had seen yesterday.

“I thought it was a dream yesterday, but I really saw the Tower Lord of the Magic Tower, right?”

“Yes, that’s right.”

“Wow… Miss, you’re amazing. How did you charm the Tower Lord?”

“Charm? We’re just friends.”

“Even so, Miss. I’ve never seen anyone as handsome as him.”

I nodded in agreement. Honestly, I was confident that there was no one as handsome as Kiris in the entire empire.

“He seems like he’ll visit often. Oh… This is so good.”

Mary clasped her hands together and made a blissful expression, as if just imagining it made her happy.

After being absent-minded for a while, Mary clapped her hands and said, “Oh! Where did Snow go? I miss Snow…”

Mary’s eyes sparkled as she searched every corner of the house for Snow.

I didn’t tell Mary that Snow was a divine beast.

It could be a problem if I was caught keeping a divine beast illegally. I thought it would be better to keep it a secret between Kiris and me.

“Found you. Snow! I’m here.”

“Kiing!”

Mary found Snow hiding in the corner of the kitchen and smiled. Snow wagged its tail vigorously to greet Mary.

I watched them with a warm smile and sat down on the sofa.

‘This is all I need.’

If I could finish today’s work, I could take it easy for a while.

I had been busy with Kiris’s matters and other things lately, but I couldn’t slack off on my work.

I needed money to survive.

I picked up a piece of cloth and started mending it.

How much time had passed this way?

Ding-dong.

As I was finishing up, the doorbell rang. Mary, who was cleaning, tilted her head.

“Hmm? It sounds like someone’s here. It’s nice that so many people are coming to see you these days, Miss. Should I answer it?”

“No, I’ll check.”

I got up from my seat, moving my stiff shoulders.

But why did I feel so uneasy?

Suddenly, Kiris’ low voice echoed in my mind.

‘Don’t you need an escort?’

Please. No. I hope not. I tried to hide my anxiety and approached the door.

And when I checked through the crack in the door….

“Rosetteee!”

Why is he here?

It was Louis. He was still as cheerful as ever, and I sighed after I took a deep breath.

‘He’s probably just here to see me?’

When I opened the door, Louis pulled back his robe and smiled brightly.

“I’m here, Rosette.”

“Hello, Louis. What brings you here?”

“Oh… um. I came because I wanted to see you, Rosette!”

“……”

“Haha, I was just joking. Why are you taking it so seriously? I’m hurt…”

Louis pouted at my indifferent reaction.

“Sir Kiris asked me to escort you.”