50

“That’s right. Anyway, since they have an adopted daughter, they’ll probably face a lot of resistance for a while! But they won’t get a single scratch.”

I had mixed feelings and couldn’t organize them properly. Maybe it was because I realized that I had entered the novel I had read.

I realized once again that this world is a world within a novel.

‘I’ve already intervened in the original story, but I guess I can just keep quiet.’

Yes, I just need to stick to my life as a commoner. The original story will progress just fine even without my intervention.

Still, I really wanted to go to this imperial banquet.

It was a banquet hosted by the imperial palace that I had always wanted to go to, where various main characters would appear.

‘Too bad.’

I personally wanted to see the main characters of the original story, but I figured I’d get the chance someday.

…And that chance came unexpectedly.

* * *

After spending the past few days reminiscing about the original story, Kiris appeared out of nowhere.

“Mistress, I have a gift for you.”

Before I could express my curiosity, he gently took hold of my hand with a languid expression.

“This.”

As Kiris waved his hand, something was placed on the palm of my hand.

“What is this?”

I looked at the invitation coated in gold and raised an eyebrow. No matter how rich someone is, who would they gild a letter?

They should give me that money instead.

“It’s an invitation. I hope you’ll be my partner.”

“Why would you give the invitation to me…?”

As I tore open the invitation, I froze in place, staring blankly at its contents.

“The palace… invites you to a ball? And, this is…”

I felt dizzy in an unimaginable way and stumbled.

The sender of the letter was Prince Cedric. However, the problem was that my name was accurately written on the invitation.

“Is this for real?”

The palace ball was one of the major events in the original story.

It was the chapter where the second male lead and the female lead first met! It was personally my favorite chapter.

There was always a time when the female and male leads were forcibly separated before they realized their love for each other.

‘Didn’t the male lead leave to subdue demons?’

The current timing was probably when the male lead left to subdue the demons for the duchy.

So, the female lead, who debuted and started her first external activity as an adult, would attend the debutante ball without the male lead.

Naturally, without any barriers, the female lead became the target of the young nobles, and while taking a moment to cool her head on the terrace, she encounters a naughty young lord.

‘Second male lead…!’

However, the second male lead helps the female lead, and the incident comes to an end.

To someone like me, who once suffered from second male lead syndrome, this couldn’t be anything but my favorite scene.

‘To think that I can see it with my own two eyes!’

My heart pounded at the fact that I could actually see the second male lead in person.

“Mistress? Are you okay?”

Kiris’ gaze seemed sharper, so I immediately put on a composed expression.

“No… Yes. I’m fine.”

While looking at the invitation, Kiris spoke, “The prince insists that it’s a celebration of my return and wants me to attend. And also… he hopes you’ll come. Sigh…”

Grit!

I heard the sound of teeth clashing. It must have been an illusion, right?

“So, Mistress. Are you going?”

Kiris lifted the corners of his lips smoothly, as if he had never worn a fierce expression.

“Hmm…”

‘What is Prince Cedric thinking, inviting me?’

Numerous questions filled my head.

We weren’t close personally, and our encounter in the Amoni’s Flower Garden was the first and last time we met.

‘And in the original story, Kiris didn’t even appear at the banquet.’

I wasn’t one to turn down good fortune, but I was a little uneasy about the different developments from the original story.

When I didn’t say anything for a long time, Kiris spoke anxiously.

“Mistress, you like to dance, don’t you? I’ll lead you well.”

“No, I don’t.”

I was in a bad mood because of Kiris reminding me of my embarrassing past.

“Then… you’re not going? You’re the only one who can be my partner.”

Kiris’ red eyes sank deeply. He looked at me pitifully and slowly opened his mouth.

“If Mistress doesn’t follow me…”

Goosebumps rose on my skin as the air grew heavy. I answered brightly without a moment’s hesitation.

“Yes, I’ll go.”

In fact, my life was the most important thing. Who would stop Kiris if he turned evil?