21

* * *

A few days later, I received a reward from the dispatched officers at the palace. It came with the announcement that I had subdued some illegal slave traders.

“His Majesty has also punished the nobles who used slaves,” they kindly added.

They assured me that there was no need to worry about safety.

“Hehe…”

I chuckled impishly as I touched the gold coins with my hands. I had gathered enough money to hire a maid now. Although Sion took care of everything, I didn’t really need to do it myself. But when I was laughing, Sion entered the room and bowed his head.

“Mistress.”

Having heard the details of what I went through, Sion hadn’t left my side since that day.

He must have been shocked to see the marks on my wrist.

“I was curious about how it would feel if my blood didn’t flow, so I held on to it tightly.”

“….”

At first, I tried to make excuses that didn’t make sense, but because of the officers who visited my house, I had to reveal everything.

“Ah, Sion. There were slave traders who sold you as a slave. I dealt with all of them. No one will come after you anymore.”

“You got hurt for that?”

“Isn’t this an honorable wound?”

Contrary to my expectations that he would be delighted, Sion’s expression seemed as if the world had collapsed. Even when I offered him a gummy candy, he didn’t feel any better, so I reluctantly stopped bragging.

“I will also take care of your security from now on.”

In the end, we reached an agreement that Sion would accompany me whenever I went out. With the group that threatened Sion gone, I could move around more easily than before.

‘How bored Sion must have been…’

Honestly, it would have been suffocating to stay inside the house all the time. That was why Sion was overreacting like this.

“I’ve finished cleaning and tending to the garden. Shall I make some tea?”

“Hmm… Would you do that?”

“Yes, Mistress.”

Sion nodded charmingly and went into the kitchen. A little later, I looked out the window while sipping the warm tea Sion handed me. I could see people bustling about in preparation for the upcoming Founding Festival in the evening.

“Finally!”

I put the gold coins in my purse with a triumphant smile. The bucket list of things I wanted to do at the festival unfolded before my eyes.

1. Witness the ceremony.
2. Eat street food.
3. Feed street food to Sion.
4. Eat more if still hungry…

Eating street food at the festival was the best.

I had prepared extensively for this day, even if it meant saving up money. After all, I had never properly enjoyed the Founding Festival in Rosette’s memories.

“I’m looking forward to it, are you?”

“Yes, Mistress.”

Sion raised his head from doing laundry and smiled softly. Seeing Sion with bubbles on his face made me feel a little guilty. But well, he said he would help. I turned my gaze away with a smug look and hummed a tune.

“I heard the festival starts in the evening. Is there anything you want to do?”

Sion’s eyes sparkled at my words.

“…I want to be by your side, Mistress.”

“No, besides that… The festival is about eating delicious stuff and enjoying yourself, right?”

“I see…”

Sion’s expression slightly dimmed. He had shown a lack of interest even when I briefly explained it to him before. When the tea ran out, I got up from my seat, placing the tea cup on the table.

“Ah, forget it. I have to explain it properly.”

“Mistress?”

“Sion, get ready.”

However, despite my confident words, Sion didn’t even flinch. He looked down at the clothes in foam, his eyebrows slightly furrowed.

“…I will finish the laundry and get ready.”

Although a strange atmosphere lingered, I pretended not to notice and turned my head.

“…Okay.”

It wasn’t because he felt guilty. Absolutely not.

* * *

The Nation’s Founding Festival, which had been prepared for several days at the palace, was boasted of being the largest in history. Nobles and commoners living in the capital were all talking about how this festival was on a whole new level.

We headed to the main temple, our bodies covered in robes. It seemed like it would be a good idea to hide in case any nobles recognized me or Sion due to his appearance.

“There’s the main temple.”

In the distance, I saw white marble pillars. The grand and magnificent white building exuded a sense of sanctity that anyone could feel.

“How is it? It’s huge, right? The festival will begin centered around the main temple.”

Sion silently nodded in response. I admired the temple, which I hadn’t seen in a long time, for a moment. I had frequently visited the small temple as I possessed Rosette Cernia’s body. It wasn’t because I went there every day due to my deep faith, but rather because I was curious about why I had been transmigrated into this world.

‘But nothing significant resulted from it.’

The gods remained silent, and I quickly gave up.

“We have arrived, Mistress.”

At that moment, Sion whispered in a low voice near my ear. I jumped up in surprise and looked around. The sun had already set, and lanterns shining brightly illuminated the surroundings.

“Wow.”

The colorful lanterns captivated me, and I exclaimed in admiration. On the other hand, Sion blinked his eyes with an expressionless face.

“Let’s go inside for now.”