49

“Mary, aren’t you getting off work?”

The sun had already set and it was getting dark outside. Mary usually got off work before dinner, but now, she was staring at me blankly.

“I’m about to have dinner now, isn’t it too late? You can go since there’s nothing more to do. You’ve worked hard.”

“Miss, I’ve decided to become your exclusive maid starting today.”

I almost nodded unconsciously at Mary’s casual words.

Did I hear that wrong?

“I’ll still get the same pay. I like it because there are a lot of things to do when I’m with you, Miss. Snow is also cute.”

“…Are you serious about becoming an exclusive maid?”

“Just trust me! I have experience as a maid in a noble family. Of course, it was only for a month, but I was so competent that I quickly became the head maid!” Mary added an explanation that she didn’t adapt to the stifling life of a maid in a noble family, so she left on her own.

‘Mary is truly competent, though.’

I nodded in agreement, half-listening. But her experience and becoming an exclusive maid were different stories.

“…Okay.”

However, I had no choice but to accept Mary’s offer. When I showed signs of refusing, Mary threw a tantrum, saying that she would lie down on the floor.

Louis came in as an escort, and my head was already complicated, and now Mary give me headache too.

But it’s not like I’m at a loss, right?

Mary confidently said, crossing her arms. “I’ll cook dinner for you tonight! I’ve been bothered by the fact that you’ve been skipping meals.”

Thanks to Louis’ help, the work was finished a long time ago, and I had nothing to do because Mary took care of everything, even the smallest things.

She said she would help me bathe earlier, but I barely refused.

Mary pouted her lips in dissatisfaction, but I felt burdened because I had never been served a bath in my previous life.

‘It was the same after I possessed Rosette Cernia.’

Even in Viscount Cernia’s family, there were only my younger sister’s exclusive maids, and I didn’t have any.

A little later, a feast of appetizing food followed.

I was amazed by Mary’s incredible cooking skills, and Louis was at the peak of his excitement.

“It’s really delicious! Is this the food they eat in heaven? Now I see, Miss Mary is definitely an angel!”

“It’s delicious, right? Miss, look. I told you I’m a good cook.”

“I only ate stale bread at the Magic Tower, but it’s really nice to come here.”

After finishing my meal, I enjoyed my free time drinking the black tea that Mary had prepared. Louis, who was reading the newspaper next to me, said, “Rosette! Would you like to see the newspaper?”

He handed me the newspaper before I could even answer.

“There’s a lot of news today. Take a look!”

“Thank you, Louis.”

I hadn’t looked at the newspaper once since I saw the article about the Tower Lord’s return.

Because it was full of boring news about the scandals of the nobles anyway.

I was disappointed when the contents of the newspaper were not much different from what I expected, but then I fixed my eyes on one article.

It seemed to be important news, as it took up a whole page.

‘Duke Dian Eckart is officially proceeding with the adoption process.’

My hand holding the newspaper tightened as I saw the familiar family name. Even so, my eyes quickly scanned the contents.

‘Aria Eckart will attend this year’s debutante?’

In conclusion, Aria, who was from an orphanage, became a member of the Eckart dukedom.

The movement of the Eckart dukedom, which had great power in the empire, was always an issue among the nobles.

But now the Duke, who had not shown any movement until now, is adopting a child.

Others may not understand his intentions, but I knew better than anyone.

‘The original story’s female lead.’

The original story had already begun. Shortly after I possessed the body, or maybe even before that.

The female lead was rescued by the male lead from the orphanage.

At first, Duke Eckart tried to send the rescued female lead to another orphanage right away, but he ended up providing her with temporary protection because of her earnest pleas.

‘In the end, he fell head over heels in love with the female lead’s loveliness.’

I don’t know if it was because of the protagonist’s buff, but the Duke cherished and treated the female lead sincerely.

‘And then, he also found out that she was the emperor’s illegitimate child.’

Duke Eckart, who found out that the pendant the female lead cherished was something only the imperial family had, tries to protect her under the power of his family by adopting her.

‘Is this the right time?’

Duke Eckart, who had been secretly protecting her, makes Aria, who had just become an adult, debut while also warning people.

If they doesn’t want to make the Eckart dukedom their enemy, they should accept her.

“I’m not interested in the nobles, but I know the Eckart dukedom well. They have a connection with Magic Tower!”

“Really?”

The original story didn’t describe such detailed relationships. When I expressed surprise, Louis added.

“They are the only ones who have the magic stone mine. That’s why we do a lot of business with them.”

“I see. Magic stones are rare in the empire.”