18

“….”

What should I do? But I must retrieve the money no matter what. I already went through so much trouble to get it! When I forcefully shook off his hand, the man smirked and withdrew his hand.

“Oh, you’re scared.”

As I trembled, the men who surrounded me cackled. The man who had pickpocketed me handed the stolen purse to them and lowered his head.

“Then I’ll be off.”

“Okay, we’ll reward you generously, so go ahead.”

It was a trap, wasn’t it? I felt a shiver run down my spine. So these people had been watching for opportunities to lure me in. Why? What did I do? I was just enjoying my happy, single life.

“…Excuse me, could you return the money? Before I report it to the security guards.”

“Hahaha! You’re the first woman I’ve seen so fearless.”

“What, what did you say?”

A shadow cast over me. Their gazes looked me up and down, with eye movements akin to the slithering of a snake. They were filthy looks, like how one would assess an object.

“Well…judging by this, she seems to be of a higher rank. Well, let’s take her with us.”

“Is this the woman?”

“Yeah, she was with that slave in the clothes shop.”

“Phew, it’s fortunate we found her. That noble brat was causing quite a stir.”

Listening to their conversation, I hardened my expression. So these people were slave hunters tracking down Sion, who had escaped. There was a moment when Sion took off his robe to buy clothes during our outing.

‘It seems the news has spread.’

It must have been unreal to have an incredibly handsome man appear in the middle of the city. It seemed like rumors had spread silently.

So the slave hunters, who were searching for Sion, heard the news and came looking for us.

‘I was too careless.’

I should have been more proactive in seeking help from the security guards. I should have considered such dangers.

‘Or I could have told the security guards about Sion’s situation.’

I criticized my past self and bit my lip. How could I escape from this situation? No solution came to mind. Then a fleeting thought crossed my mind, and I smiled faintly.

At that moment, the man grabbed my chin tightly with his strong hand and threatened me.

“Tell us where that slave is. Then we’ll send you to a good owner.”

“….”

As I remained silent, they smiled darkly and drew their swords from their sheaths.

“Or do you want to die?”

When they saw me not saying anything, they observed me as my body visibly quivered, akin to a deranged person.

“Is this woman insane…?”

“It seems more like you’re the crazy ones.”

“What did you just say?”

“People like you, who kidnap and sell others as slaves, are trash. Not even worthy of recycling.”

Fired up with righteous anger, I brushed off the man’s grasp on my arm with all my strength.

“Argh!”

“Just kill her!”

As their expressions turned grim, I brandished my magical weapon in front of me and shouted loudly as if the world counted on it.

“Take this!”

As the magical weapon activated, a gray mist enveloped the men.

“What… what is this? This woman!”

They suddenly started laughing like mad.

“Hahaha! Aaah!”

“Why…why is it so itchy?”

They scratched their bodies with their hands and collapsed to the ground. I looked at them, my arms crossed, and when the noise of footsteps approached, I waved my hand and shouted.

“Over here!”

It seemed to be the security guards whom the street vendor had reported earlier.

‘Their timing is perfect.’

“Are you alright?”

The security guards, lost in thought, rushed over, and I inwardly chuckled as I handed the slave traders over to them.

“You, you witch-like woman! How dare you…!”

The slave traders glared at me with bloodshot eyes, cursing me. I kicked their thighs with my foot and flashed a mischievous smile at the security guards.

“It seems they haven’t come to their senses yet.”

I watched as the men, their faces smeared with tears and mucus, were dragged away. I added a remark as I observed them.

“They seem to be illegal slave traders. Please investigate properly.”

Upon hearing my words, the security guards nodded and smiled with joy. Perhaps if they reported capturing illegal slave traders, they would receive reinforcements from the palace. If that happened, I would undoubtedly be rewarded, and they would also benefit in some way.

Seemingly sharing the same thought, the security guards gave me a knowing smile and saluted me.

“We will make sure of it!”

With the situation resolved, I walked lightly towards a street vendor selling bear-shaped candies.

“I’ll buy the two candies I mentioned earlier.”

The vendor praised my courage and gave me two bear-shaped candies as a bonus.

It seemed like today was a day filled with good luck.

With the threat to Sion eliminated, it would be easier for him to achieve independence.

“Where could Helena be?”

I wanted to express my gratitude to Helena for saving my life with her magical weapon. And I also wanted to discuss the novel with her.

Whoosh…

“Lady Rosette!”

And all of a sudden, Louis appeared before me.