16

“….”

Even if Sion addressed me as Mistress, I still wasn’t truly his mistress. I had only allowed the title considering his circumstances. My role was to assist Sion in achieving independence, no more, no less.

“I don’t know how your former master treated you—”

I smiled lightly.

“Sion. No one can punish you. You’re a precious being.”

“….”

“So, don’t think like that.”

“I am… a precious being?”

Sion’s red eyes shook as if he were hearing this for the first time. Understanding his unease, I nodded slightly and continued.

“Yes, you are. So, don’t think anyone can treat you recklessly. If anyone dares to do so, I will scold them properly.”

“….”

“Without a doubt, there are people who care for and love you.”

My conviction was evident in my tone, and Sion’s eyes, as beautiful as rubies, shimmered. I smiled warmly and extended my hand to Sion.

“I will help you regain your memories.”

Sion hesitated for a moment but eventually took my hand, kneeling on one knee. Like in a sacred rite, he pressed his lips to the back of my hand and murmured with a voice that held traces of tears.

“I will not forget this.”

* * *

On a night when the crescent moon hung low in the sky, Sion couldn’t find sleep, tossing and turning for a long time.

“You’re a precious being.”

The image of Rosette’s gentle smile kept appearing like a mirage. It was a phrase he had never heard of, even before he lost his memories and worked as a slave. So at first, he doubted his ears.

Certainly, he expected punishment after those sweet words. But Rosette had actually comforted him, assuring him that he was indeed precious.

That was a mistake, he thought. She must have misunderstood his true nature. But she insisted he was a precious person.

At that moment, Sion felt something in his heart. He didn’t know what it was, but one thing was certain: he had developed a desire to serve Rosette for a lifetime.

‘A kind Mistress.’

She had saved him when he was wounded and on the brink of death. He could remember her desperate voice saying, “I’ll go get medicine! Please stay alive.”

After he was treated and regained consciousness a few hours later, he was unable to open his eyes due to the lingering sensation of her gentle care.

He worried that her attitude would change if she discovered he was a slave.

“How dare you!”

Just like how the whips used to sharply resound, the thought of rejection made him suffer inside. He had never experienced anyone treating him differently. Those who were driven by sinister desires within pretended, only acting kind on the surface.

‘But not the Mistress.’

Even if Rosette changed her attitude, Sion could willingly endure it. She was the benefactor who saved his life.

She was the first person who had made his heart flutter, even if briefly, by caring for him. Should his memories return afterwards, he wouldn’t leave her side.

‘If Rosette orders, I’ll willingly risk my life to do even illegal tasks for her. It’ll be difficult to find a job due to my uncertain status, but don’t fret. I’ll make sure to find one for her.’

Rosette had gone to the city to find a job for him, and he felt her concern and genuine warmth. Yet he often wishes that he wouldn’t be able to find a job for the rest of his life.

Because finding a job would mean leaving here and becoming independent, which in turn meant he couldn’t stay with his Mistress anymore.

From his days as a slave, he had always controlled his emotions. But the thought of leaving Rosette made something boil up inside him.

Suddenly, Sion clutched his forehead as a severe headache struck him. Ever since he lost his memories and became a slave, intense headaches have plagued him.

He didn’t know the cause, but whenever he was with Rosette, they disappeared like magic. And then fragments of memories would start to come back sporadically.

“Ah…”

After a while, when his pain subsided, Sion exhaled heavily and closed his eyes again. He waited for this strange and overpowering emotion to settle down.

“Mistress…”

Just the thought of leaving Rosette’s side was suffocating. He hoped he could stay by her side for the rest of his life. Even if his memories returned, he was certain he wouldn’t find greater happiness than what he had now.