14

“…Yes. Ah! The sun’s already set? Let us return home swiftly.”

I feigned ignorance and walked. Naturally, I expected Sion to follow me, yet he remained steadfast and unmoving. Was he in pain? It pricked my conscience to have kept him waiting in the square for so long.

“Sion?” As I approached him, he had his hand on his forehead.

“Where does it hurt?”

“It’s nothing.”

Hmm, it seemed rather obvious that something was amiss. I patted Sion’s back while revealing the candy I held in my hand.

“When we arrive home, I’ll give you this candy, okay?”

“…?”

This won’t be an issue, right?

* * *

With Sion’s presence, I found myself with more leisure time. Originally, I would have had to handle everything alone, but as Sion asserted that fulfilling the duties of a slave was his responsibility, he took on all tasks.

“Sion, I want some tea.”

“I shall prepare it shortly.”

Initially, giving orders felt somewhat unpleasant, but over time, I grew accustomed to it.

“The grass in the garden seems to have grown.”

“I shall tend to it immediately.”

Consequently, I realized an increase in the quality of my life as I found more time for hobbies. Though I looked into the potential tasks for Sion during his free moments, there was no progress.

This was due to his uncertain status, which prevented him from being fully integrated. And now he was returning from another fruitless errand.

“Sigh…”

Although I had purchased novels at the bookstore and attempted to read them, a sense of darkness enveloped my vision. As usual, I gazed over toward the hillside and then proceeded toward my house.

‘Even then, their vigilant patrolling is commendable.’

With the impending inauguration of the new emperor, the capital’s guards were proactive in preventing any crime. Given the recent series of murders, it was expected that a significant amount of manpower would be allocated.

Nonetheless, a lingering unease persisted. Sion’s accompanying me to this extent was evidence of his attentiveness to my concerns. Clutching the newly acquired Treasure No. 43 and 44 in my hand, I dispelled my wandering thoughts.

“Sion, I’ve returned.”

As I entered my home, I curiously surveyed the silent surroundings.

“Wasn’t Sion supposed to be doing the laundry?”

However, neatly arranged laundry was spread outside, indicating that it was already done.

“Perhaps the garden was tended to?”

Yet there were no signs of weeding in the garden, no matter how much I strained my eyes. Just in case, I ascended to the second floor, heading towards Sion’s room.

I approached, knocking softly beforehand.

“Sion?”

Normally, he would emerge with a smile, referring to me as ‘Mistress.’ However, there was no sign of him. A sudden fear gripped me.

“Could he have run away?”

He once claimed that he only did 10% of the slave’s work. That statement might have been merely an attempt to reassure me. Having combed through the second floor without success, I changed direction towards my own room.

“Sion, are you here?”

I cautiously brought my ear closer to the door. Suddenly, it swung open, and I flinched, hastily covering my mouth.

“Gasp!”

Sion stood before me, his smile wide and cheerful.

“Mistress, you’ve returned?”

He even showcased that handsome face of his proudly. I mustered my strength to answer his question, my gaze unyielding and steadfast.

“Yes, what were you doing? I didn’t hear any noise.”

“Ah…”

In response to my question, Sion turned slightly. Following his gaze, I spotted books strewn across the bed. They seemed somewhat familiar.

An unease began to bloom within me.

“While cleaning your room…I discovered them.”

“…Books in my room?”

Although I attempted to act nonchalant, it was futile. Sion nodded, reciting the titles of the books he had read.

“They were under the bed. I saw <The Secret Life of a Duchess>, and <The Knight’s…>.”

“Wait, wait a moment!”

I urgently interrupted Sion, frantically placing my hand on his mouth.

Madly, my face was already flushing red.

I couldn’t afford to expose any more of my flaws.

“Don’t say another word! Forget what you saw today. Understand?” I hastily added.

At his innocent expression, I was compelled to elaborate further.

“In other words, don’t speak of anything more! Today’s incident. Forget it completely. Agreed?”

I appended, my urgency evident. In response, Sion offered a naive nod and agreed.

“Also, only read the books that I personally hand to you. Do not pick up and read anything randomly.”

In response to my earnest gaze, Sion continuously nodded his head. Feeling the warmth of his breath against my palm, I withdrew my hand that had been covering his mouth in surprise.

“I shall follow your instructions, Mistress.”

Sion’s tongue lightly brushed his lips where my hand had touched.

Unaware of this, I shrieked in horror and hastily gathered the books from the bed. How could I reveal my precious treasures to others! It felt as if I had exposed my inner self to the world—a sensation of utter embarrassment. My vision had been swaying back and forth, and I couldn’t gather my thoughts properly.

“This is driving me crazy, seriously.”

I wished I could dig a hole and bury myself in it, out of everyone’s sight.

“Sigh…”

As I clenched my head, feeling like my world was falling apart, the moment arrived. Sion, with a serious expression, opened his mouth.

“By the way, Mistress.”

“Yes?”

“There’s something I’m curious about. May I ask?”

“…Ask. I’ll respond within the limits of what I know.”

I nodded readily. He had lost his memories, so he must be harboring numerous questions. However, my expectations were quickly defied. Lightly thinking about it, I suddenly felt a chill down my spine.

Sion touched his chin, pondering deeply. His face turned a shade redder as his lips parted.

“How does one… kiss?”

Crimson irises, infused with a sense of shyness, stared intently at me.