Chapter 17

A/N from 2020: Wow, it's been thirteen years since I've updated this fic. To be honest, I wrote all my stories my junior and senior years of high school. I have not updated anything since I left for college in 2007, though I had grand plans to do so.

During this time of quarantine, I decided to re-read my old stories. I cringed, I laughed, I was intrigued. A whole spectrum of emotion! But at the end of the day, I decided I wanted to finish at least one. I get the most inquiries on, and am the most inspired by "A Lot Can Happen at Boarding School," so I've decided to revisit.

As you can imagine, I write differently than I did at seventeen, so please forgive the change in tone and the change in direction, but the heart of the story is in tact!

If anyone is still even reading, thank you.

...

Chapter 17: A Tree Hill Raven always leaves. But sometimes, they come back.

It'd been ten years since Graduation Day, the last time Haley James set foot in Tree Hill. She took her diploma, gave her Valedictorian speech, then ran. Everything had changed. Her first year at Tree Hill Prep was a dream – she'd formed a bubble. Real friends, a first love, she felt free. But your past always has a way of catching up, and by the end of senior year, it did.

It's all Haley could think about as her town car pulled up to the roundabout driveway of Tree Hill prep, a regal banner hung across the entrance, "Our Warmest Welcome to the Class of 2009!". As the driver pulled to a stop, Haley's heart raced. She was really back. She was doing this.

"We're here, Miss James," the driver remarks. "I'll go get your bags."

Haley takes a deep breath, her final moment of peace.

"It's just a weekend. You got this," Haley affirms. "Let's go."

Before she can grab for the handle, the car door swings open. Haley gets out, expecting to see her driver, but is met with the Cheshire-smile of Jake Jagelski.

"Haley James, am I imagining this?"

"Jake, oh my god," Haley cries, pulling him into a hug. "I can't believe it."

"Me either," he says, taking the bags from the driver.

"Oh Jake, you don't have to do that," Haley says, trying to grab her things, but Jake refuses. She then turns her attention to the driver. "Thank you so much, Raymond. I really appreciate it."

"It's my pleasure, Miss James," he smiles. "I'll be back to pick you up on Sunday. Enjoy your trip. I hear what happens at Tree Hill Prep, stays at Tree Hill Prep."

"I wish," Haley laughs, if only that were true. Jake snaps her back to reality, hooking his arm with her's. They walk to check-in at the visitor's residence hall.

"I can't believe you're back," Jake states.

"Me either," Haley says, her nerves obvious.

"I'm glad though."

"Oh yeah?" Haley asks. "What about everyone else?"

Jake goes quiet for a moment, really thinking about his answer.

"God, I might as well call Raymond to come pick me up now," Haley jokes.

"No, no!" Jake laughs. "I just, honestly? Ten years is a long time. I can guess what will happen, but I think I'd rather everyone surprise me. You did."

They make their way up the steps of the residence hall, Jake holds the door like a gentleman. Haley nods, "You were always too nice to me."

"I don't have time for grudges," Jake says. "We all make mistakes."