Chapter 19

Chapter 19: A Tree Hill Raven always knows it's the quiet places you've come to fear the most.

Nathan Scott had imagined the day he'd see Haley James again. He'd always pictured it out of nowhere, like they'd both be walking down the streets of L.A., or catching a flight in Paris, or browsing through the New York Public Library – he usually imagined somewhere she'd love – and then poof, there they both were. He'd imagine watching her contort in surprise, trying to say something, and him never giving her the chance. He in some ways longed for the satisfaction of ruining something she loved, making a place taboo, filling her safe haven with ghosts, just like she'd done to him. It weighed on him more than it should ten years later. Moments of peace on the road late at night or a redeye cross-country, his mind always found its way back to the compact, compartmentalized box that was Haley James.

Well, compartmentalized, or so he thought, because it sure as hell feels like Pandora's box opening the second he walks through the door of the cocktail hour.

He doesn't pass her on the streets of L.A.

He doesn't see her catching a flight in Paris.

He doesn't lock eyes with her in between bookshelves in New York.

No, Nathan Scott sees Haley James about 500 yards from the spot she left him. She's perched at a bar table, her legs dangling from the stool, tucked away in a corner against the mahogany-paneled wall talking to... Lucas?

"Well that's interesting," Rachel coos, smirking at the sight. She moves passed Nathan to navigate to the bar. Nathan watches her pass, before turning his eyes back to the table, his feet stuck in place.

And just like that, no more Lucas. No more Haley. Poof.

"Nate, my man!" Tim exclaims, wrapped Nathan in a bone-crushing bear hug. "Didn't think you'd make it since you're all big time and what not!"

Nathan pushes his old roommate off, laughing. "Tim, just say I'm in the NBA."

"Nah, too easy," Tim laughs. "What's up man? Is it going to be a stormy night?"

Nathan rolls his eyes at Tim.

"Your Rain Storm body spray commercial!"

"Tim, I got it. I just don't necessarily need to hear it."

"Someone's grumpy," Tim says dejected. "Have anything to do with Haley James sneaking out the back?"

Nathan's eyes cut hard to Tim before he can even finish his sentence.

"She looked upset."

"Not my problem," Nathan mutters, yet his eyes drift to the back door that opens out to the patio.

"Go," Tim encourages.

"Stop."

"But she's –"

"Shut up, Tim!" Nathan says, much louder than he intended. The crowd around them looks on with interest.

"Same ol' Nate," Tim grumbles, walking away.

"Shit," Nathan curses to himself, wading through the crowd until he finds Lucas, Jake, and some old teammates.

"Well look what the cat dragged in," Jake jokes, pulling Nathan into a hug.

"Hey, I look better than your scrawny ass."

"You're not wrong," Jake laughs, tipping his drink in agreement. "How're things?"

"You're asking the NBA player how are things?" Lucas laughs.

"Sure," Jake shrugs. "It can't all be butterflies and rainbows, right?"

"It's not," Nathan laughs. "No one ever told me living the dream would be such a pain in my ass. Literally. I'm sore twenty-four seven."