Chapter 36

Chapter 36: A Tree Hill Raven always knows, stranger things can happen but what if they actually do?

Dan turns at the sound of his son's voice, the smile on his face unfazed as if Nathan had said 'I'm so glad you made it'.

"Have a little decorum son," Dan says, glancing at Nathan. "You're in the presence of greatness."

Dan turns to Dean Hargrove, who laughs at the compliment, before continuing, "And by that I mean me."

Dean Hargrove laughs even harder. "Senator Scott, you're charming as always."

Nathan looks at Dean Hargrove, his jaw clenching. The poor guy doesn't know any better. "Dan, a word."

Dan looks at his son defiantly. Dean Hargrove raises his eyebrows in shock at the icy greeting.

"I'm going to go make my rounds," he says, excusing himself. Dan watches the dean walk off before turning back to Nathan.

"Guess you're not happy to see your old man?" He jokes, reverting back to a smile for the onlookers.

"I see an old man but he's not mine," Nathan says, his eyes narrowing. "Not anymore."

"Son," Dan starts.

Nathan turns, "I suggest you follow me outside."

"Or what," Dan says.

"Find out," Nathan says, his voice so void of emotion a chill runs down Dan's spine.

...

5 Years Ago

Haley sits at a small table with a patient in his room at Boston Children's Hospital. Her eyes drift from watching her student, Wes, work through an algebra equation and back up at the Celtics game on TV.

She's dressed warm in brown corduroy pants and a bright orange sweater; her hair pulled back to reveal droplet earrings. She felt nice for once, a long-forgotten feeling of excitement starting to bubble-up as she watches the Celtics dominate.

She turns back to Wes who's also watching the TV.

"Wesley!" Haley chides. "Focus on the equation."

"Hey, you were watching!" He grumbles, finishing off the equation. He turns the paper back to Haley to review. "Happy?"

"Let's see," Haley hums, checking his work. Her lips turn up as she glances over to see him bracing for a correction. "It's perfect."

"Really?" He smiles.

"Yep!" Haley says. "Good job, Wes! You've made so much progress with your math skills."

"Figure if I'm stuck in here, I might as well pay attention to my school work," Wes says, his eyes turning back to the game. "Cause I sure as hell won't be when I leave."

Haley scoffs, handing the paper back. "Very funny. Do the next three questions."

"Can't we just stop for today? It's already after eight o'clock," Wes whines.

"Yes, and you've done like, 30 minutes of schoolwork all day. Let's at least get to an hour, I don't want you to fall behind. We've been a little light the last two weeks."

"Sorry I've been asleep as I battle a rejected heart transplant," Wes scoffs. He looks up at Haley with a devilish smirk. She's mortified. "Was that too mean?"

"Uh yeah," Haley laughs. "You know of all the kids I work with, you are my most self-deprecating."

"I don't know what that means," Wes says.