Chapter 30

Chapter 30: A Tree Hill Raven always knows, when the stakes are high, the hearts are full.

After fulfilling their sign-in duties, Haley, Brooke, and Peyton approach Table 6 in the grand dining room, amused to find Lucas, Jake, and Nathan huddled together in their seats. They whisper and laugh uncontrollably, clearly up to no good.

"Oh no," Peyton says, rolling her eyes. "I smell mischief. What are you three up to?"

Both Scott boys shrug. Jake glances at them before answering. "Sometimes you just need to let loose. So... we are."

Just like the old days, Brooke and Lucas, Nathan and Haley, Peyton and Jake lock eyes for the briefest of moments, an understanding between them. Tonight was meant to be fun and that's just what they all needed.

Haley's eyes flick away from Nathan, her chest aflutter. "Brooke, it's open bar right?"

"Sure is," Brooke says.

"Good," Haley smiles. "Because it looks like we have some catching up to do."

And deep down they all knew this was true in more ways than one.

...

Haley plays with a cherry stem between her lips, her Old Fashioned now empty. As the Trivia Night started and the women enjoyed their cocktails, the walls set-up from earlier today started to come down between the friends.

They were dominating trivia, each person bringing their own strengths from sports to music, school history to random facts, they were picking up points left and right. And with each point closer to winning the night, their spirits lifted – the energy between them at an all time high.

"I'm going to run and grab another drink," Haley says, excusing herself from the table. Nathan stands too, surprising her.

"I'll join," Nathan says. Haley pauses for a brief second, noticing a smirk from Peyton.

"OK," she says timidly, eyeing Nathan before leading the way to the bar. Her heart races at the one-on-one time. As much as she had been dreading staying the rest of the weekend, she'd gained confidence from Brooke and Peyton's support. But walking with Nathan, metaphorically unarmed, put her thoughts in overdrive. This day had been a rollercoaster and a few hours ago, he all but told her she'd ruined his life. She didn't know where that left them, and she was honestly scared to find out.

"Stop it," Nathan says as they reach the bar.

"What?" Haley says, noticing his lingering stare.

"Whatever you're worrying about. Just stop," Nathan says before flagging the bartender down for two refills. It takes Haley aback, how easily in tune with her he could be.

"How do you know I'm worried?" Haley asks innocently.

"Because I know you Haley James," Nathan says. "Just because I haven't seen you, doesn't mean I can't still tell what's going on with you."

Haley smiles at the assumption. Nathan did know her better than anyone else and yet, he never knew all of her. And the thought makes her sad in hindsight. God bless him, he tried.

"So what am I thinking, Nathan Scott?" Haley says with amusement.

"About our little blow-out earlier," Nathan says, a small blush of shame creeping into his features.

"Big blow-out," Haley reminds, her own blush starting to form. Being vulnerable was neither of their strong suits, and yet they always pulled it out of one another.

"True," Nathan says. He plays with the collar of his t-shirt, suddenly hot. Haley observes the familiar tell.

"Am I making you nervous?" Haley chides.