Chapter 2

Onyx lay in her bed, contemplating whether she should pretend to be sick or not. She was not particularly excited to begin classes again. She scrolled on her phone, procrastination was her specialty. She saw a post from one of her classmates, Cyndi, and saw how happy and close she was becoming with her dorm mates. Onyx liked having her own room but also knew that it would be a nice change to live in quarters with others, staying up all night. She suddenly remembered how much she disliked gossip and the thought immediate vanished from her mind as she moved to the next post.

Her room was Kai's old room, except Dimitras was kind enough to offer her her own bathroom so that she would have more privacy which was surprising given how protective her mother was of her. She appreciated that her parents had finally gotten around to sound-proofing the walls of their bedroom so that Onyx wouldn't have to hear them during their many sexcapades. She was happy that they were still so in love but the idea of marriage and having only one partner grossed her out.

Onyx was sexually active, she was very popular already given the fact that she was Kai's daughter. Kai's many athletic awards and her following after the championship games weren't the only things that she was known for and Onyx was constantly reminded of that. Most of the girls she hooked up with would always end up asking her about Kai and what it was like being the daughter of the assistant director and head of the art and sports departments, and it was really starting to get on her nerves. She knew she had a lot to live up to, it wasn't easy being a prodigy.

She forced herself out of bed as she knew if she put it off any longer, she would soon have Dimitras knocking at her door. She took a quick shower then went to her wardrobe where she contemplated what the day's outfit would be. She decided on her favorite pair of sweats and a hoodie. She dug her old Chucks out from under the bed and loosely tied them on.

Her first class of the day was chemistry with Ms. Wardwell, which was poor planning on her end as she was hardly ever fully awake by the time she got to class. Still, she was passing her classes with ease. As she sat during class, her eyes caught Cyndi's sitting form and she smiled softly to herself as she admired the way she listened so intently to the lesson which Ms. Wardwell was teaching. She watched as she rested her head in her hand and her elbow against the table, leaning forward in the slightest as she clung to every word from their professor.

Cyndi was a smart, sweet brunette, with peridot green eyes. Her nose was small and turned up slightly at the tip. Onyx noticed that her nose wrinkled anytime she didn't know what to say and it always made her smile. Her skin was light and warm, and looked as though it would be soft to the touch. She had freckles on her cheeks and nose, something Onyx adored about her.

Onyx knew she hadn't bonded to Cyndi but always found it hard to look away from her. She had a type of energy and approachable personality that intimidated Onyx in the best of ways. The girls who usually talked to Onyx were the ones who approached her, she was never the one to approach them as she knew what they wanted from her, that their intentions were impure. The fact that Cyndi paid no mind to Onyx made her want to get to know her even more.

Onyx was arrogant and definitely didn't lack confidence, except for when it came to Cyndi. Onyx had tried to get her attention on a number of occasions and followed her on social media personally, which was also something she never did. There was no one she had ever gone out of her way to look for online, there was no one she wanted to learn about or see the things they liked or did during their free time until she met her.

She sighed as she watched her classmate from afar, wondering if she'd ever even noticed her. Cyndi made her nervous, Onyx didn't know what she would even say to her if she had the chance. She didn't know what it felt like to be liked just for who she was, she had only ever known what it was like to be liked for her family's history, her blood type and sex. The bell rung and Onyx forced herself to stop staring before anyone noticed.