Chapter 18

Onyx was so close to graduating that she could practically feel the silk robe against his skin, tassel against his cheek and diploma in his hand. He was five months away and Ava was eight months pregnant. Coverage of the rising revolution was everywhere; it was in the news, newspapers and was posted about on social media. She would love to fight for her people but knew it couldn't have come at a worse time.

Kai had written a letter to Sage, expressing their interest in joining their side in the fight against the council in court. A date was set and it was coming up fast. Kai also formally invited Sage, Kemiah and the other hybrids to their house for a small get together before the court date. They decided to extend their trip to Greece and leave early to meet their ancestors and other hybrids of the world while they waited for their hearing date to come. Flying to was not recommended by either Ava or Dimitras' doctors but they cleared them to fly only one way, as long as they stayed in Athens and gave birth there, which they both happily agreed to knowing they wanted some time at their family home in the Greek countryside anyways.

Kai communicated with a couple doctors and midwives in Athens ahead of time, requesting that they add Ava and Dimitras to their list for home deliveries and check ins. Onyx ordered supplies for both babies and had them delivered to their house in Athens.

Once they arrived, they had taken a few days to settle in. The day of the planned gathering, Kai and Dimitras prepared the house for their guests and they sent Onyx and Ava into town to pick up fresh groceries.
The house was already tidied and spotless when they got there, Dimitras and Kai really just needed to get out their dining ware, utensils and glasses for drinks. Dimitras had stopped to picked out flowers one of the days prior when they had gone into town and placed them into vases around the house.

Kai picked one of her favorite records and put it on, Dimitras recognized the song from their wedding and smiled. She approached Kai, took her hand and placed her other hand on Kai's shoulder. Kai placed her hand on her wife's waist and smiled as they began to dance slowly.

"I can't believe we're actually doing this," Dimitras said as she laid her head on Kai's shoulder. Kai rubbed her back slowly as they danced, knowing her wife was worried about the hearing. Just as Kai was going to console her, they heard the front door open and heard Onyx calling for help. Kai ran to him as quickly as he could, worried that something may be wrong with Ava. When Kai saw Ava drinking her water by the stairs, she looked to Onyx for an explanation.

"I need help with groceries," Onyx said with a smirk. Kai slapped the back of his head for scaring her half to death like that and helped him carry the groceries inside. Dimitras and Ava went upstairs to get ready for the gathering.

"Aren't you nervous?" Ava asked her mother in law as they stood in the mirror fixing their hair. Dimitras looked at Ava in the mirror as she unscrewed the cap of her lip liner. She exhaled through her nose.

"Yes, I am. We haven't met any of these people and now we're welcoming them into our home. It's the fact that we have never met them that is forcing me to give them the benefit of the doubt; I'd like to assume that they are lovely people." Dimitras admitted before dressing her lips as she leaned in close to the mirror, then pressed her lips together. She looked at Ava in the mirror again.

"But come on, it's going to be like having thirteen bulls in a china shop. Only in this case, if something were to happen and someone were to get mad, it wouldn't be china that would be breaking." Dimitras explained. Ava ran her tongue along the inside of her cheek as she considered Dimitras' words.

"You're right. Maybe we should try to keep everyone outside then." Ava said, then continued applying her mascara.

"I invited your mother, I hope that's okay with you. She wouldn't leave me alone about it, I think she's hoping to meet someone." Dimitras said, causing Ava to roll her eyes.