Chapter 5

Back at Greenwood, summer ended and classes had started. Onyx enjoyed the friendships she shared with Bethany and Cyndi, and all of the late nights and long afternoons she spent with them. Jake was not a threat to her, he refused to look at her in the halls or during classes they shared. It was the middle of September, and tryouts for the Mystic games were fast approaching. Kai had urged Onyx countless times to try out, that she would do so well and would be very beneficial for the Premier year's unit one team. Onyx gave in, as she knew it meant a lot to her and that it meant more one on one time with Kai while they practiced.

It was a Thursday afternoon, Onyx had just finished her classes for the day. She had agreed to meet her mother at one of the outdoor training arenas that Kai had reserved for them. When she arrived, Kai was already there and was setting up the cones on the field. Onyx helped her before they began to practice. Kai timed her as she ran laps around the track, showed her how to throw efficiently and tested her strength on the weight bench.

Overall Onyx had already exceeded expectations, having already surpassed Kai and her personal records when she was Onyxs' age. Once they had finished for the day, they cleaned up and put away the equipment they had used and started walking back to the bleachers when Onyx suddenly fell to the ground, screaming in pain.

"Onyx!" Kai yelled. She dropped her bag and immediately ran to the girl, flipping her over so that she could look at her. As she rolled her over, Onyx opened her eyes and bright white lights had formed in them and shot up into the sky. Kai watched as the white coursed through the girl's veins.
This had already happened once Onyx had turned eighteenth, why was this happening again? Kai thought. She held the girl's hand as she waited for the powers to subside. The lights in her eyes slowly dimmed and her eyes closed.

"Onyx?" Kai asked, shaking the girl's shoulders gently. Her eyes shot open, and Kai noticed that her eyes were red. Kai immediately began to move away as she knew that the girl was about to lose her temper if she hadn't already but it was too late. Onyx pushed Kai's chest, sending her more than a hundred yards through the air, almost the entire length of the football field. Kai landed on her back hard, immediately breaking a few of her ribs.

Kai laid there as she struggled for air. Onyxs' eyes suddenly returned to normal once she had seen what she had just done.

"Mom!" Onyx yelled, tears immediately formed in her eyes and she ran to Kai. Her mother was staring at the night sky, admiring the stars as she felt her lungs failing her. Onyx began to cry over her as she pulled out her phone and called Dimitras who answered immediately as she sensed something was wrong. Within seconds Dimitras had arrived and ran to Kai, who had passed out due to lack of oxygen. She placed her hands on her wife's chest and began to heal her as she too began to cry over her.

Minutes had passed and Kai still lay there, breathless. Once Dimitras knew Kai's ribs and lungs were healed, she began to preform CPR on the girl.

"Please mom, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to, I had no control." Onyx pleaded, begging Kai to wake up. A few moments later, they watched as Kai opened her eyes and desperately gasped for air. Dimitras and Onyx smiled and hugged each other tightly, giving Kai the space she needed to recover. Kai looked at them and smiled. Once she was able, she sat up and hugged Onyx tightly.

"Everything's okay, I'm fine. I know you didn't mean to."Kai assured her.
*************

Later that night, Kai and Dimitras were discussing what had happened.

"Lights shot from her eyes again, just like the way they did on her eighteenth birthday. Only this time, they were white," Kai told Dimitras.

"White?" Dimitras asked as her brow furrowed. She knew that when hybrids receive their powers their colors are green, and when mystics receive theirs they are red. She knew of one other instance where she had heard that the color of the powers were white and knew what it meant, but first she had to know for sure. "Are you sure they weren't green?" She asked, desperately wanting to make sense of this.