Chapter 6

It was a nearing 4:00 p.m one mid November evening and the air was crisp. This was Onyxs' favorite time of year, she loved to see how the color of the different leaves changed throughout the season. She hadn't seen Cyndi or Bethany in over a month and she couldn't concentrate during any of her classes with her newly discovered date with death constantly looming above her. She had thought about running away, that maybe she could escape it. She spent countless nights lying awake in her bed, thinking of ways out of it, she understood how frustrating this must have been on her parents.

She put on a pair of dark jeans and found an old long sleeved shirt with her favorite band's logo on the back of it. She decided to go for a walk to clear her mind. She was walking on the paved paths that led through the small part of the forest where students were allowed when she noticed an overgrown, beaten path through the bushes that seemed like it hadn't been used in a long time. She remembered noticing it before but this time she decided she would follow it.

She pushed past the shrubbery and undergrowth until her feet found the old, rustic dirt path. She knew the sun would be down soon and that she had to make this quick if she wanted to be able to find her way back easily. She walked along this path for ten minutes when she came upon a clearing in the trees. She stood in the middle and looked up at the sky, she had never seen prettier shades of orange, pink and purple. Little did she know that this was where Dimitras met with the other supremes each full moon.

A twig snapped behind her and she turned around quickly, but she didn't notice anything strange or out of place. She suddenly heard another twig snap to the left of her, and when she looked, she saw Kyle step out from behind one of the trees lining the clearing. Onyxs' brow furrowed as she saw four of his friends reveal themselves as well. Her heart began to race as they approached her.

"What's going on?" Onyx asked, although she wasn't sure if she wanted to know the answer. As they got closer, she noticed thar Kyle and a few of the others had brass knuckles on their hands and she knew what they were planning. She reached for her phone so that she could call her mom but Kyle ran to her and hit her phone out of her hand. She was now surrounded and she didn't know what to do. Kyle pushed her and the guy standing behind her grabbed her by the shoulders.

"Please, I don't want to hurt you." Onyx pleaded, knowing if she lost her temper, her new strength would end them. Unaware of her new abilities, Kyle grabbed Onyx by the front of her shirt and began hitting her as hard as he could. The wind was knocked out of her and she blacked out. Kyle smirked as his friend that was holding her by the shoulders let her fall to the ground. The others joined in and they all began to kick and hit her repeatedly.

Once they felt like they had dealt enough damage to the girl, they collected their bags and began to walk away. They suddenly heard the noise of what seemed like bones cracking behind them and they turned around. The looks on their faces quickly turned from smiles to looks of fear as they saw Onyx's body levitating six feet high. Her body, legs and arms were extending dramatically, and three sets of white wings with eyes embedded in them grew from her back. Her eyes were black and her pupils were white. Her lips had stretched from ear to ear and her fingers were sharp like daggers. White scales emerged from her skin one by one and sparks of fire escaped her mouth through her exaggerated smile. She looked like an angel of death, her body expanded until she was just past twelve feet tall.

Her transformation had scared the gang to the core and they stumbled over one another as they struggled to run away. Onyx looked down and saw blood dripping from her white scales. She closed her eyes and was soon surrounded by a white aura as she attempted to heal herself the way her Dimitras had tried to teach her once before. Her newfound healing abilities completely enveloped her in a light as bright as a burning star as she slowly returned to her normal form. Her light subsided as her feet touched the ground, she looked down at her naked body and was pleased to see that there was no more blood and she was no longer in pain. She looked at her hands and smiled as she watched them return to their normal shape, she finally felt hopeful and knew that she may be able to escape Hades grasps. Onyx felt invincible, and she knew what needed to be done.