Chapter 16

Once summer had ended, Kai, Dimitras, Onyx and Ava had returned to Greenwood. As soon as they returned, Kai went over to a dresser against the wall that had pictures and portraits of family members and ancestors of theirs, she couldn't erase the mysterious person's face she had seen that day at the market in Athens from her mind. She knew she had seen them before.

As her eyes scanned the various framed faces, she stopped once her eyes saw someone who closely resembled the person she had seen. She lifted the frame to her and removed the old picture from its frame, flipping it around to read the back. She frowned when she saw that most of their first name was rubbed off and could barely make out a few letters. The last name read Arcas, the same as Kai's and the date read 1819. According to the writing below the date, the person in the portrait was two thousand and five years old when it was taken, dating them back to the time of the gods.

*************

Two months had passed since they had returned from Greece. Ava was a year older than Onyx and had graduated, Onyx still had one more year. She was glad that she was finished, and that her and Onyx reunited so close to then end of the school year, otherwise her pregnancy wouldn't have been as enjoyable as it was now. She loved feeling Onyxs' hands on her at all times. When she graduated, she was already two months pregnant with Onyxs' child. They knew, but decided not to tell Kai and Dimitras yet.

After graduation, Ava wanted to stay active. She knew if Onyx had her way she would be bedridden for all of the nine months but she couldn't stay still for long. She continued her daily morning routine of going on runs around campus, and would sometimes finish with a few laps in the pool. It took her a little while but she became familiar with Greenwood and its layout, she had mapped it out in her mind as she went on her morning runs.

She moved into Onyxs' room which meant the last thing they did was sleep. They simply couldn't stop making love, they had sex every chance they had. If they weren't eating, playing games or sleeping, their hands were on one another in some way. They became best friends and talked about everything, and they soon knew every single detail about one another.

Once Onyx found out that Ava was pregnant, she didn't want her going anywhere on her own but Ava convinced her otherwise. She learned that all she had to do was look at her a certain way and Onyx would agree to anything she said. She loved to remind Onyx that she was the one in control. Onyx loved her beyond words and having her so close and knowing they had a child on the way made her feel as though she had everything in the world.

Ava made Onyx delete her Admirers Only account, knowing they had more than enough money to be set for a very long time. Onyx had one more year until she graduated, earning her master's in business was something she looked forward to. Onyx decided to have a mastectomy and had started taking hormones, changing pronouns to he/him. He had never felt more comfortable in his body.

Dimitras and Ava had grown closer than ever. The woman was so happy to finally have someone to gossip with. She knew Kai would listen to her gossip but she never got into it or got down and dirty the way she and Ava would. Ava went to Dimitras for anything she typically would with her own mother, who she hadn't spoken two in three weeks. She was still mad at her for kissing Onyx in the study but was slowly forgiving her, knowing he was just hurt that night when he kissed her and just wanted attention.
It was a crisp, Tuesday morning at Greenwood, the sweet smells of springtime filled the gentle flowing breeze. Two months had passed since they had returned from Greece. Ava woke up and smiled at the feeling of Onyxs' arms wrapped around her from behind, his hands were on her abdomen as they always seemed to be. She carefully wiggled her way away from Onyx, trying hard not to wake him. She was ready for her morning run before it got too hot outside. She laid her yoga mat across the floor and began to stretch, enjoying the morning breeze coming from their opened balcony doors against her naked body.