04. the monkey enclosure

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

04. the monkey enclosure

This is bad. Like, really really bad. Realizing you left your keys inside the house when you're already out of the house kind of bad.

Actually, nevermind that. This is worse.

Junia has never been so thankful that she's shorter than someone else before. With Coriolanus almost covering her, though she's sure it's not intentional on his part, she feels just a bit more at ease being surrounded by the tributes. It may only be twelve of them, the other half being in the other truck, but that's still more than enough people to make her rethink all of her life choices leading up to this very moment.

She knows they saw her entering the truck before Coriolanus, though. The tension is palpable, thick enough to cut it with a knife, and Junia feels nauseous.

She's unsure if this is due to her anxiety or the smell inside the truck. It's not like it's their fault, however, almost two days of not being able to wash up has left its marks on the tributes. The smell is almost unbearable but she also knows it must be worse for them.

She tries not to take deep breaths and decides that, at least until they arrive at their destination, she'll breathe through her mouth instead. Subtly. She doesn't want them to feel embarrassed.

There's a lingering smell of dirt and sweat in the humid air in the back of the van, however, she finds the lingering metallic scent of blood the most concerning. Not that she knows where it's even coming from. Truthfully, she's unsure she even wants to know.

She supports herself, leaning one elbow against the wall at the back of the truck. Even though she can't believe her own thoughts, at this very moment, Coriolanus' presence is probably the only reason she hasn't descended into a full-blown panic attack yet.

The truck begins to move and she closes her eyes for a moment before shaking her head ever so slightly. With her heart thundering so loudly in her chest she can barely hear the truck moving, she looks up at Coriolanus but is only met with the sight of the back of his head. He seems to be putting up a tough front but she can see the subtle quiver of his hand that he uses to support himself.

She dares to take a peek. First past Coriolanus' right - she's almost relieved the tributes on that side are eyeing the male instead - and then past the left side.

Marcus, Sejanus' friend and now assigned tribute, is staring straight ahead. He looks passive, unlike what his physical build would suggest. Lamina is sitting next to him, her hands folded in her lap and her foot bouncing anxiously. Her eyes are red and bloodshot, more than anyone else's. They're all tired and look like they haven't gotten a wink of sleep. Lamina, however, looks even worse due to her crying. Then there's the girl from District 10 that's looking at Coriolanus like he's the dirt beneath her nails.