30. one last measure

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

30. one last measure

tw: usage of needles !!! well. a single needle but yk. proceed with caution. also probably unsafe? idk, i googled it so some stuff might not be safe. don't try this at home!!

When the clock strikes midnight, June sneaks out of the house.

She packed the essentials in the evening and put them into her book bag right after she came home from the Academy. While the rest of her family went to bed, including her mother that left her study earlier than usual, June couldn't fall asleep. But how can she?

Two things are on her mind as she crosses the empty streets of the Capitol - the injection she's about to give Treech and the kiss he promised her. Or did she promise it to him? She's not sure. All she knows is that she feels nervous to see him again.

And she knows this is their last chance to talk to each other before the Games begin tomorrow. Depending on how long they last, it might take a while. She doesn't even want to consider the possibility that Treech won't make it. He has to.

She doesn't think she'd be able to live with herself if anything happened to him. Even at the reaping, she knew she would get attached to the tribute that would be assigned to her. It's just that she never expected it to be such a strong attachment.

Their first meeting wasn't even two weeks ago and here she is, risking everything she has and is just to have a better shot at saving his life. And whatever the feelings are that she's beginning to develop for him, she knows it's mutual. It's a strange thing, how these feelings crept up on her. But despite the risk of it all, she knows it has made her stronger.

Her feelings for him made her stronger. He made her stronger. Otherwise she would have already crumbled and given up long ago. But she can't, not when his survival might be dependent on her.

She's surprised to see that the Peacekeepers guarding the zoo have become much more lenient. It might be because they're already used to her but she doesn't even need to bribe them with any money this time. They let her pass. Just like that.

As she approaches the monkey enclosure, she realizes once again how used she has become to walking this way. After the war, the zoo hadn't really been on her mind much. Most animals had died during the war and what was left of it was honestly just sad to see.

She just didn't think she'd ever have to see people in it. It still disgusts her whenever she thinks about it and she can't imagine how dehumanizing it must be to be locked up in a cage like an animal.