22. test subject C

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

22. test subject C

tw: mentions + references to human experimentation. fuck dr. gaul and june's mom

When she succumbs to sleep for the second and final time that night, it's finally dreamless. After her spontaneous but much needed trip to the zoo, she finally feels at ease again.

Still, her nightmare has left its mark on her and when her mother comes in to check in on her in the morning, all June can think about is Clemmie and the snakes. Thankfully, Adeena Beaumont decides her daughter is still not fit enough to attend the funeral of the Ring twins. Cas is less lucky, but this time it was actually him that insisted he'd sing at their funeral - because he liked both Pollo and Didi even though they hadn't been as close in recent years and despite how ridiculous and unfitting Arachne's funeral was, he'd like to bid them a proper and deserved farewell.

June suspects she knows what he's really thinking, though. When she thinks of them, she thinks of herself and Cas, too. He must be doing the same thing. Didi and Pollo could've been them. They could've both died during the bombing or even worse, only one of them. It's a thought they've barely voiced but they know even though they're separate and independent people, they do need each other as well. They've always had a strong bond especially because they were all they had for years and years, especially during the war.

It's still unbelievable. So much has happened in less than a week, so many people have died on both sides without the Games even starting.

Even though she knows she technically has some time and could probably go back to sleep if she wanted to - she assumes she'll have the house to herself until the afternoon - she's still restless.

As soon as she hears the front door falling shut, June gets out of bed and puts on her slippers. She washes up, brushes her teeth and only then makes her way into the kitchen. The scent of oatmeal cookies lingers from Castiel's late-night baking, something she had completely missed when she snuck out during the night. Apparently his way of coping was, once again, baking. Sheaf's recipe or rather her mother's seems to be the only thing calming him down but she doesn't blame him.

She decides to take a few and puts them on a plate before she pours herself a glass of milk and heads down the hall into the living room. Despite the fact that she can't be there physically, she decides she'd still like to show the Ring twins the respect she thinks they deserve. She realizes she's just on time when she checks the clock and the TV shows the student body of the Academy on its stairs.