57. twins

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

57. twins

The next week or so is more or less dedicated to preparing Birdie's wedding, which means that the entire family is incredibly busy even after a long day at school or work.

Apparently they've had to reserve a location right outside the Pine almost over a year ago, shortly after Birdie's now-fiancé Wade proposed to her, and are now in the midst of getting everything ready for the big day. In most cases, weddings are often celebrated with one or two other couples in order to afford the location, but since their family is so big, everyone is more than happy to contribute as much as they can.

Everyone has their own set of tasks, and June is more than flattered when Birdie herself picks her to make a list and keep track of things that are still needed. While this made her anxious at first, she quickly realizes that the entire family is pretty independent and they don't need an extra push to hurry up. That aside, it's nice to feel included and to know that Treech's sister trusts her this much.

Around a month ago, they were still in the Capitol. It must've been the evening of the interview, maybe even the night before the Games. It's easy to lose track of time, but the one thing June knows for sure is that she misses her brothers. She knows better than to expect a letter so soon, but the more time passes, the more she hopes someone will bring in an envelope for her.

But, of course, she's grateful for what she has here already. Treech's family is wonderful; they immediately took her in as one of their own even though she's from the Capitol, and June is more than happy to see that things between her and Treech are as steady as ever. They're truly happy, and although Treech is still plagued by nightmares, he hasn't relapsed terribly since that one incident before his birthday.

That day, it's just her and Treech inside the house. His mother is outside, tending to the weeds and making everything look presentable. With his siblings and parents being so busy, his brother Flint completely forgot to ask someone to look after his daughter, but he quickly finds suitable 'babysitters' in his little brother and his girlfriend.

Taking care of Cherry makes June feel like she's barely eleven or twelve years old, and taking care of little Max whenever their parents quickly had to take care of things at work. It's a bit awkward, and June needs to get used to it at first, but when she falls asleep on her, it's hard not to melt. Cherry is warm and soft against her, and she doesn't mind rocking the little girl back and forth in her sleep.

She'd have handed her over to Treech, but his hands are busy. With Birdie out of the house, he has been doing everything he can to work on a gift he wants to give to his sister on his wedding day, since that'll also be the day she officially moves out.

Or rather, Panem's government gives newlywed couples about a week to get settled into their newly assigned home. Thankfully, they already know it'll be within reach of her parents and the rest of the family.