21. a nightly visit

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

21.a nightly visit

She's restless that night.

Even when she's on the verge of falling asleep, Castiel's words won't leave her mind.

He'll leave the study and the antidote up to her and he'll try figuring out more about the snakes - but how? It's not like Dr. Gaul or their mother will just tell them. Alone the attempt to get any information out of either one of them would be too risky and could get them into serious trouble.

When she eventually succumbs to her exhaustion and passes out in her bed, it's shortly before midnight. However, it seems there won't be any peace of mind for her. Not even in her dreams is she free from the troubles plaguing her mind. They continue to haunt her.

It's hot. So hot, June almost thinks she's on fire.

When she looks down at herself, however, she realizes the flames aren't touching her. They're everywhere, crawling up the familiar walls of her childhood home. The almost forgotten smell of burning wood hits her nose hard and she covers her mouth and nose with her hands, but to no avail. The fire is crackling all around her, flames licking at every crevice of the corridor.

And yet, they refuse to touch her. When the smoke reaches her but doesn't make her cough, she realizes she must be dreaming. Her heart races and she breaks into a sweat, carefully taking a step back. The only escape route that she can think of since everything ahead of her is already turning into ashes.

Her lungs are burning but the smoke doesn't seem to reach them. She knows she's dreaming, she knows this is a nightmare but she can't help herself - after everything, fire is still what she fears most. She doesn't think it'll ever change. Not when her brain won't ever stop showing her dreams of the day that changed everything.

Sometimes she's in the rubble but unlike back then, she's all alone. Other times she finds herself on the roof right as the bombs rain down on her and then there's times like right now when she's trapped in the flaming inferno with seemingly no escape route.

"Junia!"

She gasps. Not once has she heard a voice in dreams like these and what frightens her even more is that it's a voice she hasn't heard in so so long.

"Grandma?!" She cries out and tenses when the voice that leaves her mouth is that of her younger self and not her own. Tears silently cascade down her cheeks and she looks around frantically, trying to catch a glimpse of the elderly woman. "Grandma, where are you?"