46. a sister's guilt

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

46. a sister's guilt

On Monday morning, it's time. After breakfast and a last check-up, Treech is finally released from the hospital. His excitement is palpable, the relief of being able to leave the Capitol evident in the way he carries himself.

June thinks he looks like he's about to burst at the seams from both happiness and anxiety.

If her mentorship has confirmed one thing, it has to be the fact that money gets her as good as everywhere. That might just be the one thing her father was right about - money makes the world go round.

There's a small pit in her stomach that begins to grow with every second that passes. Around the time they leave the hospital and are picked up by Cas and the family's driver (who was also, again, bribed into silence about this trip), she knows Sejanus is most likely leaving the Capitol. And while she wonders what his final decision might be, she has other things to be concerned about for the time being.

The ride from the hospital to the Beaumont family's house is quiet.

Although they bribed the man, they don't want to let anything slip regarding their plan. The only noise in the car is the classical music coming out of the radio and, from time to time, the sound of Treech and June talking.

Treech is in awe, unable to stop himself from marveling at the landscape of the Capitol. Even during the rides to the arena and the Academy, he was never able to see anything since they were in the back of the van. But now he finally gets a full view of what the Capitol really is. It's obvious to even him that they're still reconstructing parts of it, but what's really baffling to him is the sheer size of some of the buildings. They're taller and closer to the clouds than anything he has ever seen.

It makes a good distraction as well. June points out little landmarks,explains some things, and shows him some of the apartment buildings her friends live in. And in a sense, this is helping her as well. With her good memory, having a last view of what she's leaving behind in the Capitol in her mind is good. Although it's strange to know she will never see these buildings or walk through these streets again, she knows every little step away from here is one step closer to freedom.

By the time they get to their house, Treech's mouth is agape and his eyes are wide. The car stops, and he still looks out of the car window when June gently taps his wrist, reminding him to unbuckle the seatbelt. He has never been in a car before; this is all new to him. He knows trucks and the back of vans well enough by now, but not the comfort of a car's leather seat. And yet, he likes it.