13. a proposal

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

13. a proposal

Thankfully, by the time they get home, Cas has stopped teasing his sister. A smart decision, otherwise she might have melted into a puddle on the floor and he'd have to scrape her off the sidewalk to bring her back home.

It's still some time before dinner so they decide to unwind from today's events above all. Junia doubts Lyssie has made it home yet, unless Clemmie wasn't at the Citadel anymore by the time she got there.

They both immediately change out of their uniforms and into something more comfortable, but right when they're about to head outside into the garden, they're stopped by their mother. Adeena Beaumont looks exhausted, heavy bags are under her eyes and her once neatly tied up hair has almost completely fallen out of its ponytail. She seems to be in a hurry which is apparently a normal thing by now.

"I'll send the driver out to pick up Max today, or I'll call your father. I don't think I'll be able to make it," she explains hastily, pressing kisses to both of their foreheads. The twins are sitting on the couch with Cas holding the remote in his hand. "With the Games coming up, we're really in a hurry to finish preparations."

Junia frowns, "Please remember to take care of yourself, mom. We worry about you, too, you know?"

The woman's eyes soften and she runs her fingers through her daughter's hair. Sometimes she's relieved her children have all inherited her husband's straight hair, but a part of her wishes at least Junia had her curls. While they can be a hassle to take care of sometimes, she loves her hair just the way it is.

"I know, I know. But this is very important last-minute stuff, dear. It's urgent," she says. Even though she needs to go back to her office, she still stops to look her children over. "How are you two holding up? Is everything alright?"

She looks at her son in particular. "Castiel, have you been eating well?"

"I'm fine, mom," he insists. "I actually went to the counselor today, too. She gave me some tips and her phone number in case of an emergency. I'll be okay."

"Me as well," Junia says. Their mother seems relieved but Junia hesitates for a moment, unsure how to deliver the news to her. "Uhm.. by the way, we stopped by at the zoo on our way home."

Adeena Beaumont pales at her daughter's words and pulls her hand away almost abruptly. "So I've heard. Dr. Gaul seemed pleased with you two for thinking of the tributes after yesterday. She said you were role models to the other mentors, you two and Coriolanus. I was about to head home when I heard he wanted to get in, too," she says. She sighs, "As someone that works directly under the gamemaker, I couldn't be prouder of you. But as your mother..."