19. a visitor

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

19. a visitor

Even though she’s still not particularly hungry, she digs into the bland hospital breakfast almost eagerly. If she wants to make sure she can develop some kind of strategy for Treech in the arena or even sneak him some information regarding the snake mutts, she knows she needs to keep herself healthy and recover as soon as she can.

The clock is ticking. It’s an odd sentiment for June, really. After the war, she sometimes had the feeling like she had all the time in the world. And now that she’s just a little over a month over eighteen, it suddenly feels like she’s close to running out of it. The Games have been postponed — again — but she knows she can’t depend on that alone.

She needs to act before it’s too late. Preferably as soon as she can.

Castiel’s mood is still understandably dampened. June can tell there’s a storm brewing inside of him, something waiting to be unleashed. Whatever it is, she knows it won’t be pretty. But the determination in his eyes soothes her nerves for the time being and she concludes that whatever it is that he’s cooking up, won’t be aimed at her.

When the doctor comes in to check her vitals, she makes a conscious effort to downplay her lingering aches. Unlike Coriolanus who is still unconscious, she wants to make use of the fact that she woke up rather quickly.

And it works. One more check-up in the afternoon and then she’ll be good to go if her state hasn’t deteriorated by then.

Soon after that initial check-up, Cas leaves but promises it won’t be too long. He wants to go home and get a fresh set of clothes, then he’ll give their friends a call to let them know she’s doing well so they don’t worry either. That aside, he might take a look into their mother’s study while she’s off at work. If he can find the spare key, that is.

It’s quite ironic but not even ten minutes after he left, June’s peace is interrupted by the sound of the door creaking. Not that it’s a sound that wouldn’t bother her otherwise, it’s just that she can immediately tell someone is trying to open the door without making too much noise and failing miserably.

She decides she’ll catch up on some missed sleep later and forces her eyes open only to be greeted with the sight of a completely unscathed Sejanus. Their eyes meet briefly, he blinks and when she sits up and shoots him a smile, his relief is palpable.

“You’re awake,” he rasps out, trying to be quiet. He closes the door behind him softly and crosses the room in eager strides, inspecting his now conscious best friend with careful eyes. “I wasn’t sure. The doctor told me you were accepting visitors but he said there’s a chance you might be asleep.”