58. the wedding

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

58. the wedding

August 26th marks the day of Birdie’s wedding, and it’s perfect.

The weather is just right. Around this time of the year, the temperature is slowly cooling down, but not to an unbearable extent. The morning starts off cool, but with everyone being busy getting ready and making sure nothing is missing before the departure, it’s not that big of a deal.

Over the last few days, Cas has also grown more accustomed to life in Seven. The entire family accepted him with open arms, although there was some hesitation on both ends at first. However, it was quickly broken that same evening when Cas didn’t even think twice before he joined those that were tasked with preparing dinner without even being asked to. It broke the initial distrust because, although everyone knew he was June’s twin brother, there were still some prejudices that couldn’t be helped at first.

Treech ended up being more than happy to have both twins sharing a room with him, but whenever the nightmares come back to haunt him, he still gets up to sleep downstairs instead. June following is a given because she knows he needs her. That’s something she knows might never change, but she doesn’t mind.

It’s not that Treech doesn’t trust himself to be vulnerable about Cas; it’s just that he would rather not have yet another person see him in such a state.

June is surprised to hear that there were no invitations sent out at all, but the people in Seven and their community don’t disappoint, because by the time Birdie and her soon-to-be husband finally arrive, everything is completely set up. The area outside the Pine is decorated beautifully, with flowers adorning almost everything they can possibly touch, a huge array of tables with a large assortment of food and drinks, and even the music doesn’t disappoint.

She never cared much for weddings in the Capitol, as they were boring and plagued by formalities, but not here at all. Not even the Peacekeeper recruits walking around the area can put a damper on things, especially not for June and Cas. The second they spot Sejanus on patrol during the ceremony, it almost becomes a game for them to bet on how long it will take for him to find them.

Fifteen minutes. Three times longer than June predicted. But given the number of people, she can’t say she exactly blames him.

What matters most now is that all three of them are happy and that Treech is on the road to recovery. Going to Seven was the best decision any of them could have made, and they know very quickly that they won’t be regretting it any time soon either.

The wedding ceremony is bright and colorful and filled with laughter and joy. It’s exactly the way a wedding is supposed to be, and when Birdie and Wade exchange personalized wreaths decorated with flowers and little bows, a stark contrast to the Capitol’s tradition of exchanging rings, June swears she can even see the bride’s father shedding a few tears.